Behringer strikes stomp boxes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tekhna, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Anyone know if they're going to make the Monster Cable clone? I might go for something like that.... ;)

2. swampash

swampash

Dec 13, 2004
    yeah to all that want an inferior product that has a 85% chance of breaking, and want to deal with non existant customer service and RMA processes, please buy these pedals. :D
    I think i'll stick with my Boss and Mooger Foogers you get what you pay for!! :bassist:

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As long as they don't mention the word 'monster' in any marketing whatsoever they'll be fine.

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Who cares?

It's cheap.

It's disposable.

Chinese made Behringer Pedals couldn't possibily suck much worse then
    Boss Pedals that are made in Indonesia.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Cheap? How about $25 a channel for those $99 rackmount quad-compressors (gate / comp / limit!) - and they sound great. Our band has one on every board channel insert.

Reliability has not been so good, though. We went through three compressor returns, but haven't had one fry since we started turning them on one-by-one, instead of pumping them all on at once with a power strip (?).

Joe

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    blech, i wouldnt want a monster cable clone, from my experiences and reserach in teh usenet groups, a lot of people have their monster instrument cables go bad at the solder joints near teh jacks, and ahve to keep going back to redeem the lifetime warranty. i'll pony up for cables because they're all about build quality for me, nothing else.

a Unibass copy on the other hand.........

7. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL

Behringer Godzilla Cable. :)

-Rav

8. I know the behringer products are very good I've got tons of them.. but there probably made by 2-year old blind kids :D

You're right that they aren't really reliable. but what the hell... if yours breaks down.. just buy a new one.. You could do that about 4 times before you can say : Shttt, with this money I could have bought a new one that will last a lifetime. :)

9. or Behringer Mother Cable:p

I'm waiting for them to copy the Gallien-Krueger Microbass combo-
    better still, a 300 watt micro-combo- I'd buy one for under £200 in a flash :ninja:

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I care. When you give your business to the people who make the cheapie clones instead of the quality manufacturers that actually designed them, you hurt the entire industry, and that affects what is available to ALL of us in the end, but you're too short-sighted to see that.

Its polluting the industry, and just like environmental pollution, a cheap and easy solution now will cause terrible messes later on that will eventually have to be dealt with. Because of this, "I" care . . .

11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Eric, there still is absolutely no proof Behringer has "stolen" anyones designs. The only thing they are guilty of is making their products look nearly identical to another brand that does the same thing and making them extremely affordable.

I swear this place can be extremely judgemental on just a belief that something is true. If Behringer were stealing other companies designs don't you think those manufacturers would take it to the courts?

12. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    When you make a product that’s similar function and lower cost your creating competition.

This is the basis of a free economy. It prevents monopoly organizations from fleecing people.

I seriously doubt that it costs other manufacturers 3x as much to make their products as it does behringer to make theirs. If the established manufacturers had priced their products more competitively to start with no one would have tried to compete.

The fact that new companies see a window to make an alternative product just proves that everyone was paying too much to begin with.

-Rav

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Not to rehash yet another behringer thread....
    but the whole point is that some manufacturers are too small to take on Behringer. Add the fact that they're overseas and it gets more difficult still.

Behringer lost a lawsuit to Aphex, and settled out of court with Mackie on another.

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Part of Behringer's success has been that it's manufacturing facility is located in China. If I were financially able, I would have a company over there. If you make money and keep the lines of communism, er, communication, with the government over there open, ie- pay your share, the Chinese government will help you with finding skilled workers. Their labor rates are ridiculously low, they work long hours (standard workday is from 5am to 8pm), and the government sometimes puts up housing near the foreign-flagged factories. Keep your engineers out of China, and your costs go WAY down.

15. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    I was going to ramble on and on about something, but I think the bottom line has already been stated: The proof is in the pudding. When these pedals become availalbe and people start buying them then we'll have a good idea if they are great values or cheap junk. If they turn out to be winners, then I guess the bass community as a whole stands to benefit.

16. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL

Most of the "name brand" companies everyone seems to be so in love with here manufacture their products via contract at factorys all over SE asia. Grab any electronic product you own and take it apart and odds are at least 20% of the parts will say China on them.

Its unfair to try to say behringer is the only company that does this.

-Rav

17. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    Bob Lee, care to comment on this, perhaps showing us proof that this took place?

I'm a fan of QSC amps (I've got 2), but I'm looking at my amp manuals (paper) and at Behringers PDFs on their site, finding nothing word for word. And any similarities I have found I could also easily find in just about any other PA manual mainly because of what a PA actually is.

I'm not saying that this didn't happen, I'm just asking for proof of this before even more people start taking hearsay as fact. This happens a lot around here.

It's pretty obvious that the look of the RMX is pretty clearly emulated in the EUROPOWER. But come on, that's superficial, not functional - and quite honestly from a competition standpoint, lame but very smart. Just because something looks similar on the outside doesn't mean the inside is. I've built more than a half dozen bass cabs and all of them have been modeled after big name popular cabs that (with the exception of my very first 2 and the rest missing the name tag) could probably pass for the real thing. But that doesn't mean that they are the same; difference speakers, different tuning, different bracing on the inside, just have the same look with appropriate design to match. (fyi, i'm both a graphic artist and a comp. engineer - it's advantageous to be trained in the too leading schools of thought - arts & sciences)

This isn't really to insult anyone or anything, but all over the place (not just here) I see all sorts of assertions taken as gospel truth without things really being proven.

Smash, you're right. There is way too much BULL going around, but it's everywhere and goes in every direction, not just against those that are easy to hate.

$.02 says this thread gets locked soon

18. junglebike

junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    They're making a Sansamp BDDI pedal for US$40. That's unbelievable. Only difference is it dosen't have phantom power or a metal case. How much do those features add in cost? $15?

Sansamp sells their product for $190 retail. It's using basically the same circuit that all of their products use, and have been using for, what, two decades?

How much "development cost" has not been recouped byTech21 at this point?

What this tells me is that Tech21 is either pricing WAY above their margins (i.e. gouging us), OR their manufacturing costs are WAY higher than Behringer. In this case, at least, "development costs" simply don't enter into the equation. If there is a copyright infringement, let the lawyers sort it out. Otherwise, it's up to you to decide whether to pay 4.5x the price for phantom power and a metal box.

I know what I'm gonna do...

Pete

Behringer gear:
    Cheap-o BX3000
    Cheap-o mixer
    Cheap-o compressor/gate/limiter
    Cheap-o 8 channel headphone amp

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    for some reason, i am reminded of the "canyonero" episode of the simpsons.

"unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!" :D

20. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    To copy a companies manual I admit is not smart or good business. It doesn't mean they stole the design of the amp even if it looks extremely similar. I will talk with Bob to see whats the QSC side of the story.

Most copyright, trademark, and even patents fall under international laws. If its with a country thats part of this agreement then its not that hard to go after them legally. Moneywise I admit is a different story but alot of big corporations settle out of court because of all the legal cost. Its just sometimes cheaper.

I think that is just an opinion that not all of us share.

Dude if you feel that way you would have to stop dealing with more companies than you would imagine. Tons of companies rip off other companies ideas. Doesn't make it right though.

What R&D cost did they really incur? The same basic pedal scematic layouts have been around before BOSS came to be. Maybe somebody should point out that they took ideas from other manufacturers as well. Clone of a clone, hmm.

Losing a lawsuit is one thing but settling out of court is another. What was the lawsuit over anyways? A name? A product? Sometimes companies just settle to save legal cost.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.