Behringer Tbird.. or some other home combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tsal, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Anyone else tried one of these out?

I tried one out at instrument expo and thought it sounded decent, but it was very noisy there. The bottom line is that it's a small bass combo, 15w/8" so not really loud, has aux in/out and costs around $90 new. And judging from the looks is copied from Danelectro amp, but anyways.

So any opinions about this one or any better ideas?
  2. Last year, I was, like you, looking for a small, home-practice amp. I tried out several amps: here's a quote from my own topic I wrote some months ago on this board:

Quote number two:

3. Spanky2112

Aug 20, 2003
    Utica, NY
    These reviews have been great. I, too, am looking for a practice amp and it came down to these 2 models. Right now the T-Bird is $70 new and the Microbass is $130 new. I just rolled in to a guitar store and saw a Microbass for $50 used. It must be an older model 'cause the new Peaveys have some red light or red trim on their new models.
    I'm thinking that I'll go and grab the Microbass before lunch. $50 for a good name practice amp is a winner...especially when it's already been broken in :)
    I'll let you know what I think in a couple of weeks.
  4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I would take Peavey anything over Behringer anyday.
    Peavey is good, reliable gear. Behringer is ripping off popular designs, and building them very cheaply. Don't believe me? Ask Bob Lee at QSC-he mentioned here at talkbass that they ripped off QSC designs. Did it to Mackie too.
    Ask treena Foster too-she has seen Behringer gear basically crap out after little use.
    Search the forum also-this has been discussed a lot here recently.
    I wouldn't mind spending 50 bucks on a used Peavey Microbass, if were in good working order. It's a great little amp. Spanky2112, if you bought that amp, you will love it, trust me! :)
  5. Spanky2112

Aug 20, 2003
    Utica, NY
    Hey Beefbass....You were right. I love that little sucker!
  6. I've got one. I'd like to mention that if you plan on downtuning at all, the behringer won't be to your liking. Tune down to D or lower and you'll be disappointed. It's also not very loud, which isn't too important for a practice amp. It won't keep up with the guitar version (firebird) though. It's truely a solo-practice only amp. Maybe you could play along with an acoustic guitar.

As I've mentioned before, it does make a good headphone amp. You might check out one of the new Vox practice amps. They also have a cute vintage look and I've heard good stuff.