Behringer...... The Real Scoop?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BigTed, Feb 25, 2003.

1. BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    I've been looking at mixer on-line for the last couple of days, and I can't get past the super low prices on the Behringer Eurorack mixers. Reviews on the recording message boards are so mixed it is insane. Would this lead me to believe that quality on these units varies? I have a feeling most reviews I read are people who haven't used these, but find it cool to jump on the "I hate Behringer" bandwagon. What are the opinions of people who have actually used these line of mixers? How are the mic-preamps, noise levels, etc. etc.

I'd be using it with a modest DAW setup, to track mostly bass, guitars, and vocals.

Thanks in advanced!
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I never used a Behringer mixer, but an ex-roommate had a small one that was good enough for recording (don't remember the model, that was 5 years ago).

I have an older compressor (autocom mdx 1000) that is really, really good - and I still use it all the time in both home rec. and live setup.
  3. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I've got one of the little 4 channel mixers (2XLR/2 1/4" inputs) and it has worked great. No noticable noise and good sound. Too bad I lost the damn paower supply and can't use it until I find where to buy another one. :rolleyes:
  4. My MX602a sounds great. I just run from the tape-outs straight into an el cheapo tape deck. Bass & g*u*t*r sound real nice. A lot better quality than I got from a Portastudio. Lot better. I'm selling mine to get one with more pre's though because the results were so good that I've decided to record whole bands (practices, etc.) this way.

Bare in mind that my only other experience has been with the Portastudio. That may be why I think it's so nice. Other guys here have experience with super-nice stuff and think otherwise. But we're talking $50 vs. $5,000 (or more).
  5. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    The real deal between makie's and behringer is a slight hiss that is barely barely audible. Frequencey response is decent on both.
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

MX802 here. Excellent little table.
    A big lot of features, clean sound, no hum.
    I'm very happy with it.

I also use B300 active cabs as my main bass amp.

Quality control is not optimal at Behringer though.
    One of the cabs was defective when I got it.
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have some behringer gear, I like it! It's quiet, hasn't given me a spot of trouble. A sales rep. at a large online retailer, one of the BIG two, told me that proportionally, the behringer stuff has less returns than other much more expensive brands. He also said that because Behringers are so cheap idiots who don't know how to use them buy the gear, then return it when they can't make it work; manuals still firmly shrink wrapped. He did admit that they have had spotty quality on certain items in the past, but thought at this stage things were OK. Lets face it, the mixers are one piece, if a channel dies you throw the whole thing away and buy a new one. It's certainly not a fancy studio grade consol. On the other hand, none of the tiny ones are. I use it in conjunction with a PreSonus mic pre-amp, but in all fairness it's xlr's are better than the ones on the Mackie 1604vlz that's collecting dust at my drummers house. The Alt 3-4 is a little noisy though. I would say go for it.

edit: I have the UB-1204Pro.
  8. BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm gonna pick one of these up (MX602). I'm a supreme novice, and I think this will fit my needs and not empty my checking account. I'll try to remember and post how it works out for me.

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    thats funny because of YOUR post i ordered one yesterday!lol got mine at zzounds for cheap!
  10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    ---Also, if you do need to move to a high end product some day, you won't have wasted any huge amount of cash on a small board.
  11. I've used the small 4 channel and the big 32 channel and they are both great. I've been told that if they give you trouble that you might as well throw them away. So far I've had no trouble so I'm keeping mine. I do think that Mackie is a bit heavier duty and has better mic pre-amps. But, you'll find just as many people who like the Behringer pre-amps over Mackie. One thing is for sure, you can't beat the price on Behringer mixers. For home studio stuff, I can't really see any good reason to buy anything else unless you just gotta have it........:D
  12. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    highs are a little hissy but it sounds freakin stellar for a 59 dollar purchase! and i used to use a mackie when i was on the road!
  13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Behringer won't stay this cheap forever. They'll bleed out some competitors then start charging a price that reflects the gear. It's actually pretty good stuff and EXCELLENT value.

The desks are good but the one I used didn't have a 20db pad. Actually the lo-cut botton is where you'd expect the 20db pad to be - it had me fooled for a minute.

There's another brand comming out of Germany which is similar in price and sound to Behringer - and as soon as I remember it, I'll post it.
  15. soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Never used their mixers, probably will soon, but I have BX300 combo from Behringer. Redicilous cheap prices for excellent quality stuff.
  16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Behringer prices are cheap because all manufacturing is done in China. US made gear can't compete at those prices. I'll leave others to argue over whether Chinese gear can be "excellent" quality or not.

The mixed opinions you see online are for a few reasons:

First, Behringer has been sued by Mackie (for sure) and I think dbx as well over patent infringments. The Mackie suit was eventually settled. Some people just think of Behringer as crooks and won't buy it on principle.

Second, serious pro audio guys do not find Behringer to be sonically competitive with the "good stuff"...they also don't like Mackie or Peavey for the same reason. I agree, but the "good stuff" is not cheap. We're talking about mixers that cost ten times what a Behringer does, though...brands like Soundcraft, Allen and Heath, Midas, Crest, etc. What you get is lower noise, more headroom, better servicability....if you will be basing your business on the board running 24/7 you'll be pickier about what you buy!
  17. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The impression I get is that the quality control is a bit spotty and that a significant number of their products are widely regarded as unlicenced rip-offs of other people's designs.

As someone who chooses fair trade tea and coffee, free range chickens and ethical investments, I'd be very wary about considering any gear that attempts to pass itself off as 'just like X but half the price'.

Ultimately, you have to make the choice, but the money you spend today does shape the future you will live in tomorrow - especially when your setup and experiences are shared in a forum like this where they may influence a substantial number of other potential customers.

Personally, I'd like to live in a world where "What's in it for me - what's the lowest price I can get regardless of the costs to others" isn't the way the majority of people make their decisions, and so I choose to measure my drops in the economic ocean very carefully.

18. soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Ibanez did the same thing when they were starting out. The fact that Behringer provides products at lower prices doesn't mean it's a plain crap. I bought that combo for 99$ and it exceeds all my expectations for a little practice combo, yet the same thing would have cost more than 150$ for a freaking Crate POS, you choose. Sure, if I'm a pro and have gigs every day I'd go for something more, what's the word, profound, but at the point where I am it suits my needs perfectly and I don't have to overpay to nobody. It's just that Behringer does what other spoiled with attention companies can not afford to do, I don't care if it's a rip-off, as long as I don't have to pay rediculous prices that I can't afford... But believe me, if I'd be a working musician I'll get a freaking Ferrari of the mixers, amps or whatever.... Different products for different level, guys.
  19. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ok does this change anything?

Without naming anyone, I had a conversation with an importer of PA gear recently. In his circles it is widely known that some of the big players in PA and sound equipment are in a state of turmoil. Sales have dropped so sharply that we could see the demise of several well known and well respected audio companies within the next 12 to 18 months.
  20. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    If the quality is there to support the prices, they will survive. If not, they deserve to go down. Like was already said on this thread, some people will buy the high end stuffno matter if Behringer is giving thier stuff away for free.

I use a behringer 32 channel mixer at church, and I have a 5 channel for home use. Not thrilled with the 5 channel, but I just use it for a headphone mixer, so it doesn't have to be great. The big mixer is better than we ever could have hoped for when we bought it. we also use behringer DI boxes, and the rack mounted limiter for the singers. no problems with any of those units either.