Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer Ultra Bass BX1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rutkn, Jan 16, 2006.

1. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    Im 14 and im looking for a bigger amp that doesnt cost that much money. I was just wondering if this amp is any good. If not can some recommend me a good amp around the same price.

thanks

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's not a bad amp for the price. Don't spend more than $200 for one.
    If you're not playing in a band, spend the money on lessons. Rent or borrow and amp when you need one.
    Don't spend too much on a amp that you need to go out and get a job and take away from practise time.
    Get so good that nobody cares what kind of equipment you have.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

+1 zillion.

4. You won't find anything even close for the same price.

People are polarised on the name, and I would make sure that you buy the amp you play through, or play the amp you buy before you get it out of the store. Like most equipment you buy, I would play the bejeebers out of it as soon as you can - if anything obvious is going to break it will do it early on.

I have played through one and I now own a BX4500 head and BB410 cab. the Bx1200 is really loud for 120Watts, has a decent sound, and is a lot lighter than the rig I now have!!

... and I completely agree with the other posters. Great players still sound good even with the crappiest equipment, but the best gear still makes a bad player sound bad.

5. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    i do already go lessons and i do play with my friends in a band so i might just buy it

6. I have a full bi-amp rig for shows but use the BX 1200 to teach and practice with. I bought mine in June 2004 and it has been great for this purpose. One downside at the moment is that it is in the shop being repaired after blowing a fuse and not wanting to restart (after a new fuse was installed of course). One day it was fine and the next time I went to turn it on it was just dead. But I MUST say that we did have Thunderstorms in my area at that time and it is quite possible that a power surge is what caused my problem.

Other than that it is a good little amp for the price. I find also that when I plug the amp directly into my 15" EV that suddenly the amps performance and overall sound improves hugely. My main critisicm sound wise would be that the Behringer speaker (Aluminium cone) is a little harsh and brittle, but its no biggie to put a different speaker in it. I tried a 150w Etone in it and it just smoothed the tones down a little. Dont feel that this is a necessity just a cheap and easy mod that I found worked well.The original speaker is fine.
    The features on the back of the amp are great too. DI, Tape out and effects patch bay. Tape out is good if you need to go straight into a computer.
    All things considered its a better than average Bass combo for the price IMO.

7. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    Or i was thinking i should save up a little more for a Fender Rumble 100 is that any good?

8. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Buy the BX1200. I like it. Alot. It's loud enough for home practice, and practice with a band. But I plan on getting a BB410 and BX4500 to just leave at the practice venue. But this is in my room for the foreseeable future.

9. My advice is look at the used market, see what turns up.

I'm not a big behringer fan.

10. I was exactly the same as you,except I was already in a band for about a year with a 15 watt generic brand amp.

I would get it,I got mine last November,and I'm only getting a 2x10 because I'm planning on the future,but the Behringer holds up well against my drummer who plays pretty hard,and amy guitar player who uses a Fender 45-watt all tube Deluxe.
    I love it,the ultrabass is fun for messing around,but with a band it doesn't do anything.

I reccomend highly!

11. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    By the way, if you get the behringer, little word to the wise, start pumping the iron. You'll need it. Because the thing is a solid block of iron. A heavy... solid... block of iron.