Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer Ultrabass BX1200

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ctcruiser, Aug 31, 2005.

1. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    I was wondering if anyone has used a Behringer BX1200 amp with their DB?

I am planning to buy a Fishman Full Circle pickup and I am looking for an amp at a lower price just to get my feet wet.

2. I tried out an EUB through a Behringer in a music store. Played around with eq's for ages and couldn't rid of a hollow, metallic sort of sound. Finally gave up and, as an afterthought, played a fretless BG through the same amp - same sound!
    Sure I'm spoilt with my little Eden rig, but I think there's there's other budget amps that sound better.

(and I gotta admit I'm a bit biased against Behringer on account of their ethics - or lack of them. Many of their designs are dead rip-offs from other companies, which has resulted in numerous legal actions)

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Yes I have. I use an Upton Revolution solo pickup. This little amp has to be one of the best deals on the earth. It's loaded with input/output connections, several controls to tailor frequency response, and some interesting pre-amp circuitry that seems to be designed to achieve "graceful" overloading when you really push it. It even has a sub-harmonic generator (which I don't really use).

It's greatest asset is the "shape" control that can be activated when using channel 2. That control, in conjuntion with the four tone controls, allows you to achieve a quite decent "acoustic" sound. I've been complimented on the performance of this amp on more than one occasion.

In the case of this amp I actually think you get more than for what you pay!

Is it as good as an AI combo amp? No way! Don't expect it to provide that kind of effortless amplification of the fundamental. On the other hand, if you're on a budget, this is your amp.

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    With all due respect, I think twiddling with it in the store may not have given this little beast a fair shake. It took me some time to really understand the effect that the "shape" control would have in conjunction with the other controls. I sure would like to know what amp for $200 even comes close. I listened to a bunch and never found one.