Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer UltraBass BX300 with Slap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funk98, Aug 5, 2005.

1. funk98

funk98

Aug 5, 2005
    Plymouth, WI
    Hey, I need help with getting a nice slap effect with a Behringer UltraBass BX300 without buying an effects thingy. It is a combo amp and the equilizer includes these types of knobs: Volume, Bass, High(treble), middle, and a shape on/off thing. All the knobs range from 1-10 so if anyone could help me out adjusting those that'd be great.

thanks,

2. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005
    Just mess around with it some...

3. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    i think most people get the slap sound with boosted highs and lows with lowered mids. You really need a compressor to get the thick fat slap tone though.

the amp and speakers are going to be workin allot harder llike this though. it takes more juice to run boosted lows with lowered mids to make the same volume.

the shape control boosts mids also, so u want to keep that off. I personally think you would be better off just keeping it set normal with the shape turned on. Its really a pretty nice sounding amp in its own right. If you want to sound GREAT slapping buy the equipment to do it right and use the behringer as its intended in the meantime.

EDIT !!! is this the head or a 30 watt combo??? ^ applies to the head and to some degree in general. if its a combo, i dont really know, a 30 watt isnt really going to get "low"

4. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Experiment by turning down (scooping) your mid control to about a 3 and add a little on the bass and treble controls (7 or so). Then put your shape at about a 10 o'clock position. Turn the shape knob to the right if you need more meat to your sound.

What is the pickup setup on your bass? What tone controls do you have? That also plays a big factor.

5. funk98

funk98

Aug 5, 2005
    Plymouth, WI
    My bass has 2 volume controls, each one controls a pick-up, and 1 tone control.

6. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Try turning up the volume for the bridge pickup all the way, then experiment with the neck pickup volume to your desired blend setting. Some people even slap with the bridge pickup soloed. Whatever sounds good to your ear! If you hear too much string noise, a quick fix is to turn down the tone control, but with practice and proper technique it will become less of an issue.

7. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    cut the mids by half, cut the bass a little, boost the treble. on the bass, you balance to the bridge pup.

btw, how is the bx300? thought of getting one for myself

8. funk98

funk98

Aug 5, 2005
    Plymouth, WI
    I think the BX 300 is a pretty good amp for its price. The shape feature is nice when finger style but the amp seems to like to boost the lower notes. example: the E string is played louder then the d and G string but besides that its good.