Behringer Ultrabass BX3000T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jul 31, 2003.

1. bump

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    ...and the world awaits.....

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I've tried it !
    It's not out yet in Europe but the local shop is demoing one.
    I tried it with a 4 ohm 4x10" H & K cab.
    Not the best in the world, but I know how they sound so I could test try it.

Basically, it sounds a lot like an Ashdown (who'd have thought ?) but with a boomier sound.
    EQ is ok, 5 bands are pretty well set.

The Ultrabass is great and very well defined, even better than the real one IMHO.

Shape buttons are useless. They make "cliche" sounds, not what you'd expect.

I'll be damned if this thing is 300 W. I get clipping at half of the Master course. Sound "squashes" a bit on high and results in a lack of dynamics and headroom at high volume.

All in one a decent amp especially for this price but nothing to rave about.

My Behringer PA blown a week ago so you'll understand that I'm a bit bitter toward the brand.
    I wouldn't buy this amp but it can be considered as an alternative to brands like Peavey, Kustom, ...

4. thanks for that review Jazz Ad

5. What was the power handling of the cab? Just curious if the clipping was the amp's fault or the cab's.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

cabs are passive devices. They don't clip.
    I think it's 400 W.

7. according to this you can say that she clipped because of the high wattage of the speakers.

you should try it with some 2*10 at 200 watts or less from a referential brand.

but for the price the amp would be ideal for home use or backup.

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    My band are 'going loud' and were all getting stacks. Im only 14 so price is the biggest concern for me. Joint first comes the sound. Name/brand is last. Would this be able to compete with a less poweful guitar head (150watts)?

9. If your guitarist even mentions getting anything over 100w smack him in the face. It really depends on the style of music you play, what cab you're using, how loud everyone likes to rehearse, etc. In my opinion it would be plenty.

10. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Thanks Jason. At the moment hes on 35watts and im on 80, so I want to keep my power advantage. Id be playing with home-made cabs. IMHO, when done properly they can be just as good as bought ones, while being much cheaper. Im using a 1x15 extension cab with my amp.

11. bump, did you ever get the amp woodchuck?

12. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    There more than one way to plagerize.

13. ok, if i were to get this amp, what cab would i get to use with this amp?? and remember money is an object

14. Bump., please any info suggestions <pleaseeeeeeeee

15. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    Hey guys, I'm interested in how this thing sounds too. Cheap head like that...

BTW: running a clipping amp into a cabinet is a recipe for trouble. A 100 watt head driving a 400 watt cabinet is okay, provided that the amp is not clipping. If it clips enough, you are going to put a 50-60 volt DC surge through the speakers and fry the voicecoils. Seriously! If this amp is going to clip on you at normal playing volumes, you need to look elsewhere. The cost of the amp does not justify the cost of replacement speakers or cabinets.

On the other hand, I have run a 350 watt amp head through a 125 watt speaker. No problem. Most of the time I was loafing along at 12-30 watts. Go slap solo at 1/2 volume and the speaker started to bottom (it was probably getting more than 300 watts). This is not so good for the speaker, but better than DC fry!

From Mr. Jack
    Mr Jack. Whoah! I recently played a 50x60 foot room with 15 foot ceilings. There were about 80 people there (not a good night). I had an SWR 350x (350 watts at 4 ohms) and 2 goliath IIIs (4x10). Man, I was still getting drowned out by a 100 watt Fender Twin. I had to walk over to my guitarist and tell him to turn down. My buddy in the back of the room was giving me the "turn it up" sign. In the end I DI'd to the front between sets using my SansAmp BDDI.

We could have played the gig with only a 50-60 watt guitar amp and still had bleeding ears at the end. The bass rig was the club's not mine.

Man, I suggest your guitarists get their amps but keep it real. They don't need to go full blast with those rigs. You are going to need a 4x10 to project. Keep the 15 for your bass tone, but a single 15 probably won't cut it in a big venue. BTW, I am personally a fan of turning it down and using a 2x12. For small venues I use a single 12 and a 60 watt amp.

-Aladdin;)

16. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    This is my philosophy on purchasing amps. I usually go with amps with the best warrranty. I usually expect the minimum warranty to be at least 5 years. With that, I would consider the Ashdown over Behringer(I'm not sure how long they warrant their electronics). I wouldn't be suprised if the "B" brand is warranted for more than 90days, 1 year at best. I've seen good amps that have lasted for more than 25 years and still going. I've tried the brand "B" modulator-pro once and it lasted about 2 weeks, couldn't handle my B notes. I tossed it in the trash, because that's where it belonged. So, if it were me spending cash I would go with the real deal: Brand "A"=Ashdown. An alternative would be to purchase a used amp, as save some dough.

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I know they don't have good rep in USA, but I've dealt a few times with Behringer customer service in Europe and they were really nice and efficient.
    Realibility is an issue with their gear though.

18. I had no problems dealing with them. I had some problems with my v-amp which actually turned out to be a dead battery (stupid me!) but they sent me 2(!) replacement EEPROM chips just in case something was wrong. Those heads have a 1 year warranty, btw.

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if he doesn't post a freakin review of the head? :mad: :D

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Chester, Connecticut
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    This has been beaten to death dozens of times around here, but I guess it needs repeating:

No, clipping is not DC. I repeat, clipping is not DC, nor is it a DC surge.

During severe clipping, an amp can put out up to twice its rated power, at least for a short while. This excess power is what will burn out a speaker that is not built to withstand it.