Behringer Ultrabass BX3000T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    Some guys put lightbulbs between the amp and the speaker. When the light comes on, turn down your gain!

Anyone know how to do this properly?

2. nozzlenut

nozzlenut

Jul 16, 2003
    western NY
    For all that are interested, I recently dropped the $200 for one of the BX3000t amps to use as a "back-up" for my G-K 700rb. So far I have only used it for rehearseal and not gigged with it yet.So far it seems to be actually a pretty good amp. It has plenty of power ( I use a Lakland 55-01 and a Avatar 2-12) and good tone. The Ultrabass sounds like a Octive petal adding a lower octive to the note you are playing(really rumbles in some cases.) the shape function did NOTHING but turn on a little led. Not sure if I have it set-up right or not, but?? Just in case your wondering, I play classic rock and some top 40 and have been playing for 30 years through mostly thru Fender Sunn and Ampeg tube amps.:bassist: :bassist:

3. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    I got this amp this week. Running through a hartkey 410 and 115. Using a RIC 4003 for my axe. So far i'm very impressed. Has a 5 band equalizer very well set up, Ultra bass (killer sound), a bass switch (boosts bass like crazy, tons of bottom) a bright switch (can't get the /ric any brighter than it already is, may work better with MM) and a light under the Gain knob, handy for letting you know when your gain is too high. 300 watts, 8 ohms. Passive and active inputs. So far I'm very impressed. For the price you simply can't beat it. Very powerful amp for 300 watts.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That's 300w @ 4ohms!

5. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    by Bob Lee

Sorry Bob. I guess it does. If I am wrong, I am wrong, but am I? I am not sure if it is DC or not. I got that advice from Steve Rabe, founder of SWR. Here it is in a direct quote as it appeared in August 1992 in Bass Player Magazine. It was also available on SWR's website before the Fender takeover.

"...(clipping is the point where the power amplifier runs out of headroom and begins to distort) ...it should be noted that continuous clipping is very harmful to speakers, especially in a bass system: the lower the note, the longer the duration of the DC content in the clipped signal. To understand what happens in this condition, remember what your speakers did when you applied a 9-volt battery to them. Now imagine what 20 or even 50 volts would do at a rate of 40 times a second! The results can be overheating, disfiguring of the voice coil, overall fatigue, and? eventually? complete failure." -by SWR founder Steve Rabe

Now he says "DC content", not straight DC, but the mention of the DC battery concept made me believe that DC meant Direct Current. I may very well be missing Steve Rabe's point, but it seems clear.

I happen to like SWR equipment and took the advice from Steve Rabe as being worth something. I am not an engineer as noted elsewhere in this forum. I will let you and Steve Rabe duke it out over the DC issue.

Anyway, no offense taken here. As it seems with advice people, Your Mileage May Vary.

-Aladdin

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Chester, Connecticut
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hi Alladin,

I think Steve was probably trying to make an analogy, but I think it's an unintentionally misleading one.

No matter what, a clipped audio signal is AC, not DC. DC will cause an offset in the speaker driver's position, but it will not in itself burn out the speaker unless it is a high enough voltage to either dissipate too much power--causing overheating of the voice coil--or cause overexcursion. But those hold true for an AC waveform as well.

IMHO, any halfway decently designed amplifier will have some provision for protection against putting out DC, even in an output circuit failure.

7. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    1 Cabinet @ 8
    2 cabinets @ 4
    3 Cabinets @ 2 (the absolute minimum)

Direct quote from Behringer User Manual

8. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    I'm sorry you find this amusing. If you look at my equipment you will see I am using hartkey Cabs. You should also know they are at 8 ohms/cab. Anyways you are definately of the sarcastic sort so I will end our discussion here. And please keep that cheap Asdown troll crap to yourself, it serves no purpose!

Regards

9. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    i PMed woodchuck to see if he could review this amp in a bit more detail, im extremly interested in it.........

10. TheInsider

TheInsider

Oct 8, 2002
    Middle USA
    AC is what the power lines carry when it comes into your walls its stepped down but still AC. Now an amp transformer turns it into DC. So how does your amp send AC after its been through the transformer?

As to Behringer stuff I 've had nothing but bad experiences. Like someone else said you get what you pay for. The stuff does look cool and is cheap but that doesn't mean it will be reliable or even work sometimes.

11. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Here are some reviews at http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Behringer/BX3000T_Head-01.html you may find interesting. As I stated above This head is pretty awesome even though it is a take from Ashdown, as is Sadowsky and Lakeland only a souped up fender. Personally I see no probs with this. Anyways check it out, best to look at all user reviews before making a decision.

Good Luck :)

12. could someone please explain the **** with ohms to me? i'm an eternal noob. i know its a measure of resistance of course but how this relates to cabs/amps mystifies me

13. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I am looking at the tech specs, that I JUST downloaded from the behringer site, for the BX3000T, and it definitely says (and I quote) "300 Watts RMS into 4Ohms".

14. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Yeah I noticed that also. Guess it' a typo in my manual. Sorry for the confusion!

15. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    i posted an entire topic about this, it says that te hminimun impendence should be 4 ohms, then it says that it should be 2 ohms, i will post a picture later as i have to go out now.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You're only going to get that 300 watts using a 4ohm load. That's either 1 4ohm cabinet or 2 8ohm cabinets! If you use 1 8ohm cabinet, you will not get the full 300 watts. May be like 180-200 watts max! The online manual say 300w @ 4ohms!

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I've seen a concert last week.
    Their bass player was using one, with a Laney 4x10 cab.
    It got through nicely with a bit of tubelike grit.
    They played classic rock covers though, so they didn't need insane power.

18. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    ohhhhh exactley the set-up i want!

19. nopicking

nopicking

Dec 19, 2003
    I was interested in this amp because of the price. I have not tried it yet, but will do so in the near future.

Behringer amps are made in China. This is done because labor is cheaper abroad, passing on more savings to the consumer. There were no indication s on the company website about Behringer's industrial practices, so I'm a little concerned about their these practices...are the workers in china paid fairly?, are the parts cheap and nasty?, etc...

I will be comparing the behringer head to the peavey max 160. I have been told that although the peavey head is roughly half of the power output, it delivers the same performance. Also, Peavey is made in the US, which is something important to many north american consumers.

I have already played on the peavey head. It sounded fantastic, and was loud enough for practice, and small venues. It has the same basic features as the behringer... tone controls and such, but the peavey lacks the ultrabass function, if that's important to you. The behringer has the cool analog input indicator though, but that's a bit of a gimmick.

The peavey is a little more expensive, but it's a better quality product in my opinion. Furthermore, the difference in power should not be the decision making factor. 300w of inefficient power might be similar to 160 watts of efficient power.

I will post a proper comparison review once the local music store receives stock of the behringer units.

Know about who you are buying from.

20. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    ok, does anyone want to provide evidence for behringer under-paying their workers? if so id like to see it. im not saying behringer do or do not underpay their workers, i just want evidence for these statements. :)