Behringer Ultrabass BX3000T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jul 31, 2003.

1. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    This is good. I was seriously considering one of these heads and now I know I'm getting one. $199.00 just can't be passed up for me.

2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Im waiting.........:rolleyes:

3. I tried this amp the other day, with a Hartke 4200 cab. I don't know whether it was just the acoustics in the room or something else, but I was very unsure if it was loud enough for me.

And when putting the gain at about 11 o'clock and Output at 12 o'clock, the EQ straight but the EQ on the bass set to full mid and bass, the 'limit' light started flashing (is that what you call "clipping"? I'm not sure I've gotten it). Not to mention when I tuned down the e-string to d - it would've been even worse with a 5-string, of course.

Am I just stupid or is this head a bit weak? The guy in the store said that that's what you get from 300w.. maybe I need more power?

4. Seems loud enough for me. True I've played 300-watt amps that 'feel' louder but this one does a mighty fine job.

The 'shape' filter has conked on me though. All I get is a god-all "Pooump" when I press it and that's it. No sound at all till I disengage it.

Still, for the price I paid I can't complain and yes the knobs and pots reek of sweatshop labour. The head is otherwise well constructed, though.

Overall I'd recommend it to somebody wanting a good deal. Tone-philes / name-philes will be dissapointed though.

5. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I think there is more to behringer than underpayed workers.

They have been a revolution for the industry, a little kick in the behind I guess.

I am waiting for them to make bass cabs. I need a low cost 2x10 with tweter :D

I am still amazed how expensive these things are still today!!

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just wondering whether that cab was 4 or 8 ohms?

7. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Me too, if it was 8 ohms you'll only be getting around 170-200 watts out of the head.

8. According to hartke.com, it's 4 ohms. What does that mean in this case?

9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    www.avatarspeakers.com

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That amp is rated 300w @ 4 ohms. If you were using an 8 ohm cab, you lose aprox. 100+ watts. I'm also curious about this amp and may buy one just as a backup! You just can't beat that price even if it pushes half of it's rated wattage. I also find that Hartke cabs are kinda tuned to match Hartke amps and don't mix and match as well as some other cab manufacturers. I have some Avatars that I'd like to plug this amp into.

11. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I played through the Behringer amp this weekend at my local music store. I used it extensively for an hour as I tested out a bunch of different cabinets; Aguilar GS112 (8 ohm), Bergantino H210 (2x10's), SWR Goliath III JR 2x10, Eden 1x10 with Horn.

To qualify myself, I play jazz, Funk, Blues, R&B, Classic rock and Top 40. I play a Modulus Quantum 5 bass with EMG's. I also use a G&L L2500 5 string bass as a backup/beater bass.

I own an <ASHDOWN> ABM500 EVO rackmount head and play through my Bergantino HT322 Cabinet. I need a small rig for small gigs and rehearsals that is lightweight, and get's the sound out. I was primarilyy shopping for the Aguilar GS112 Cabinet. I did most of my testing through the Aggie GS112.

Quick take: EXTREMELY impressed with the tone and functions of the tone controls and switches. Including the shape knob. It does nothing unless the shape switch beneath it is engaged. I was able to get a ballsy growl or modern clean "garden Jazz" funk tone quite easily. All tone controls were very responsive. The Ultrabass control is very functional when used in moderation. the best tones I found were using it barely dialed up to no more than 9 o'clock. I have the sub harmonizer on my Ashdown and also learned that it works better when there is more bass dialed in at the tone control. I set the bass control to 2 oclock and that was sufficient. Yes it's gimiicky and I typically use it once a night on solo's or occassionally on some slow tunes that benefit from the enhanced multi timbral tonality that the ultrabass control provides.

Bottom line for me; As a rehearsal and small gig rig amp, this thing is clearly a value leader! For $200, how can you go wrong? I don't think there is anything remotely close in the price range that has anywhere near the features, power or flexibility. I'm going to buy one before they raise the price!

12. Do you mean Ashdown ABM500 EVO?

13. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Yes he does,

14. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Oops - Edited my post. Yes, I meant Ashdown ABM500 EVO. Not Aguilar. Sorry. They both start with the letter "A" and well, ...some brain cells are gone forever. sigh - Gary (Roscoe5) ...soon to be FBass5, but that's another thread.

15. alright, thanks. :)

16. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I dont think we can get those here in europe. I am in madrid, Spain!! :rolleyes: too bad.

We can get behringer however. I dont think they would make a head without planning a cab sometime in the future.

I already have a bass rig but I would like to add an inexpensive cab for lager venues

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I find that odd as well. They do make guitar cabs but not bass cabs.

18. Q-Phonix

Q-Phonix

Sep 28, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I just got a bx3000t off ebay.Does anyone who owns one, find this amp to be very hissy when turned up loud?

19. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I just bought the Behringer BX3000T and find mine to be gig worthy quiet at loud volumes. Very impressive amp for the money. Best bang for the buck for a small gig rig or rehearsal amp in my experience so far.

20. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm thinking of getting this for my electric gigs, which only number maybe thirty a year (the rest is all upright). I need to replace a fried Hartke head. I use a Carvin 2x10 with the "redeye", and virtually all live work eventually goes through some gonzo PA anyway, so I don't need a lot of power, I just basically need to hear myself. Whatchoo slab guys think, will this work for me? I just dropped like 6K on a new DB, so price is kind of important to me;)