Behringer Ultrabass BX3000T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jul 31, 2003.

1. malt

malt

Jun 19, 2003
    I'm sort of curious how quiet the XLR DI output is for recording and for gigs going into the soundboard.

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hey Marcus, yeah, I think the Behringer will work great for you. I'm plugging it into a single Aguilar GS112 and it's got great presence and plenty of volume for the application you mentioned. I'll use it live for small venues and add a second Aggie GS112 when I need more volume. Then I'll benefit from the full 300 W into 4 ohms. The single Aggie is an 8 ohm cab and it's fine so far. two would be even better. I'll get more power and benefit from the coupling affect of two cabinets together. Your single Carvin 2X10 should do well with this. If it's a 4 ohm cab, even better!

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm curious too but I have a separate passive DI that I use anyway but I'm thinking of getting this amp as a backup cause you just never know. I'm not worried about the cheapness as I take very good care of all my electronics. I have still have working mint condition stuff from the early 80's!

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I just saw a band last night and the bassist had literally just come from the music store with one of these. Still in the box, he unpacked it and set it on top his cab. It came with a footswitch pedal. I guess that's to kick in and out that Subharmonizer thingy. Firstly, the guy is really green and must be new to bassdom as he center detented all the knobs!!!:eek: The amp itself is pretty loud even though he had an 8ohm cab (Hartke 4x10) and wasn't getting the full 300w overhead so I can imagine what it would sound like with a 4ohm load. He DI'd into a PA and was loud as hell and pretty much chocked the rest of the band! The amp itself performed well. It's just if the guy knew what he was doing I could have gotten a better gauge of what the damn thing sounded like. He was playing a Schecter Elite 5. His tone was really sucky. Nice bass though (a neckthrough).

For $200, every bassist should have this amp as a backup!!

5. As one who's career has severely hit by the total relocation of textile and furniture manufacturing to overseas (all but senior management of course) ... and do I have any computer-making or customer service folks on board with me, etc, etc ... I'm having a hard time going along with this. If it's just a back-up, there's plenty of very very good used gear at this price.

Sorry for the politics. I also don't shop at Walmart, and would rather we all had a well paid audience to play for, instead of tickets and beers bought with unemployment checks.

>>>> RESTRAINing >>>>>>>

6. How should he have set the knobs?

One of the things I like about my Ashdown ABM amps (on which this Behringer is most likely based) is the way that it sounds flat.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, what I'm getting at is he made no effort to get/adjust 'his' sound. He centered all the knobs and just started playing. His sound/tone was horrible but he had lots of volume!

JW, As far as the politics of manufacturers making similar designs of amps and whatnot, I have way too many other important things in life to care. Behringer ain't the only company doing this. There are companies of all types (music/non music). Life is too short. Secondly, I'd rather have something new with a warranty. Used, you're on your own. Thirdly, it's cheap. I ain't rich...period. I get what I can afford.

Sorry if your view isn't the same as mine.

8. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Well said. I undertand both sides. If I was truly going to live by the boycott rule for reasons of copying existing designs and offshore marketing, I better not ever buy a Fender Jazz or P bass Bass copy or any facsimile therein. Shame-on Sadowsky and countless others? I for one think not. Life is too short. Great designs invite replication and enhancement.

Back to the thread, I bought a Behringer BX3000 Bass head and I feel it is an exceptional value. The best sound is not achieved when the tone controls are set flat.. I tweak a little (add some bass boost, cut the mids slightly, add some treble, and then I found that adding the "Deep" and "Shape" switch functions help me get a GREAT sound, and very quickly too.

9. No problem. If it were an isolated case, that's fine, but I see no end to it - having watched the entire state of NC go overseas in the past few years - as a recent example one plant (Pillowtex) shut down taking with literally 7000 jobs with it - devastating a rural area.

This is not the right place to discuss and I'm too close to be objective.

10. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Jim are you saying that Behringer had factories in lets say, developed countries, then moved them to developing countries causing an unemployment rise in the developed world???

11. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    So because it shares some characteristics with an ashdown amp it is a complete rip-off???
    Not IMO.
    just because alot of basses only have 4 strings does not make them a rip off of a fender, does it?

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    quote:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by SMASH

LOL "most likely". It's a shameless complete ripoff of Ashdown.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you feel the same way about Sadowsky, Mike Lull and Ken Smith the way they blatantly rip off Fender designs? Do you think their successes would have been any different if they used orignal designs?

13. I really do not know the history of Behringer, but we all know the rumors. I make no judgement on that, and again this isn't just the place for this discussion.

I wrote a long response, but decided not to sent it. If you really want my thoughts, PM.

14. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Yeh,in the same way Essex is NOT improving on anything when they make a jazz copy are they?

Also, the word is aesthetics, not Esthetics.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

If you must know, I was judge at a talent show and I was right up front sitting at a table with other judges. I even chatted with the guy and helped him setup his amp and the P.A. system! He had a whole other rack system (Amp, Pre-amp & Compressor) with him and he decided to use the Behringer instead. I was literally 4 feet away from his amp and I heard it before he DI'd. In fact, where I was sitting, I was behind the right main. So I could clearly hear his amp and some of the sound from the mains. I didn't say the amp was bad just that 'his' tone was bad. It was muffled and had no definition. Even judging by his playing he hadn't really been playing too long and he even stated so after the show as we had several conversations. He even asked for a little advice and tips on setting up his bass and what I thought about his performance. I didn't slag him but I did tell him in small venues he doesn't even need to be in the P.A. and that he was so loud that he was choking the entire band's sound. It was tough as many many folks were cringing due to his loudness. Including the guy who was sitting next to me (Haywood Gregory/former member of the Max Weinberg 7)!

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I do

:D:bassist:

I take two of my amps 'cause they're small;)

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Then you can call me Kermit;)

I've been running my rigs like this for over a decade. Guess that might qualify as a senior newbie.

I get what you're saying but the first question that came to mind was... did HE like the sound? If he did that's probably why he didn't tweak it.

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Sigh! Well, all I can say is if you heard him you would have cringed too! I don't think he liked the way he sounded. But I just couldn't figure out why he couldn't hear that he was so loud. If he turned down it would have helped him blend in better. But hey, to each his own.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Granted but in all seriousness I know of several people whose tone makes me cringe yet they love it. Some play for a living.

Different strokes. Did his tone make him cringe?

I'd be willing to bet that his tone making one cringe had little to do with EQ tweaks. Probably just the player coming through;)

Just curious, what EQ tweaks do you think might have remedied the situation?

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    You can play loud with flat EQ or a smiley face, etc. That's (part of) my point.

The thing that really caught my eye about your post was equating flat EQ with newbies.

Maybe I misunderstood. Even if you meant gains too, he could simply turn the bass down at the bass.

BTW did he think he was too loud?