Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer Ultrabass Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tonedeaf, Nov 2, 2004.

1. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

2. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    yeah behringer have just started to ship them out to stores in the last week or two. they look alright but im sure this is going to start another one of those threads on behringers "copying" of other companies. they are cheap and will probably do a good job. just remember you get what you pay for.

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The prices aren't as low as I thought they would be.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Should have called them the Behringer "Harkebass" cabs . . .

. . . just reserving my seat for the show. :cool:

5. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    hmm thats a damn good move eric (but did you mean Hartke?) or am i presumming your making a point about them copying a certain manufacturer

6. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

I'm not sure I follow all the comments so far. I get that these are copies of other cabs out there. Is the opinion that they are inferior copies, or that they are just less expensive clones?

7. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    eek this makes my quest for amplification harder, although that's a good thing usually. Hopefully they'll start selling in the UK .
    What's the deal with these aluminium cones, would you lose much low end, if so i'd go for paper cones and then if you want turn on the tweeter for a bit more crisp at the higher freqeuncies.
    Theres a pacakge deal for the 3000t and either 4x10, although that would probably be to expensive for me.
    These cabinets definately look promising, high power handling and pro connectors, although we'll have to wait for some reviews to come up we won't know that much but if they decent then they're a bargain

Now to decide, Ashdown EB or MAG combo or behringer head and cab or ashdown cab or win the lottery and buy a gigantic mesa/boogie rig

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yeah, but since the Hartke name is undoubtedly trademarked, all they have to do (like they do with their designs) is leave out the "t" in Hartke, to avoid lawsuits . . just like they change one small item in their physical designs from the "actual" designer/manufacturers . . . its not a "Hartke" cab, but a "Harke" . . .har har har. ;)

9. The behringer cabs are already for sale in UK, try ElectroMusic in Doncaster UK

mart

10. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    ah i see good point eric. just to let those of you who are my fellow non-american people, who have to pay the usual hugely inflated prices for bass equipment, www.thomann.de have the cabs in stock now for €198 for the 15 and 2x10. not bad value even if it is a copy. thomann only charge about €20 for delivery aswell.

11. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    What do people think would sound louder. Ashdown MAG 300 combo with 15" or or a behringer rig of a 3000t with a BB115, seeing as the BB is 8ohm would this mean that it's volume is quitened a lot. i worked out i can both setups for about £320 same power on the amp but how much goes in to the speaker?

ideally i'd get a paper 115 and an alluminium 210, but i have quite limited funds so just the 115 for now.

12. Luigi

Luigi

Dec 3, 2003
    NorCal
    So far, my only thoughts: Cheap and heavy

13. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    hmm, my college have just bought some behringer versions of the hartke kickback amps (i have a hartke 12" kickabck, sweet as) and the behringers don't touch it basically, despite have a cool channel switch for the ULTRABASS channel - great idea but horrible nasty click every time you change - if that was thru a pa...

Anyway the point stands you buy cheap imitation stuff you pay the price!

Dodge

14. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I'd give it a year after release before I'd even consider getting one. Only because they havn't been out so long.

15. Artisan

Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    What is this fascination and disdain for "copies"?

The majority of the physics involved in speaker enclosure design was worked out in the 1930's. Just about every enclosure out there today is a copy of the designs that were arrived at by university students and graduate students of the thirties. Bass reflex, folded horn, etc.

Just glancing at the various speaker enclosures made in Asia, you can see the same boxes being used by many different "manufacturers". They put their finish on the enclosure, load them with their particular transducers and networks, box'em up and send them out for sale.

High end manufacturers make their own, unless they have a cheap import line, but even their own speakers are still based upon the data that was generated in the thirties. With a few exceptions, all speaker enclosures are copies, in the truest sense.

When you are playing bass, go for the largest enclosure that you can manage to handle. Nothing, not tons of power or extra speakers, is a substitute for enclosure volume when properly configured.

Artisan

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

It's simple. Making basses that copy Fender Jazz basses is fair game. Copying amps is unethical.

17. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Artisan..............Amen!