Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer Ultrabass cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tash, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Greetings everyone. I've been looking for info on these cabs and can't find anything besides marketing write ups. I'm curious if anyone has first hand expirience with them.

I've spent the past few years playing with amp modelers direct into my recording gear and am now planning on switching back to a full size rig. These cabs seem great with tons of power handling for the price (the 410 is speced 1000 watts at 4ohms, if you belive manufacturer specs). I'm thinking of getting a 410 and 115 and teaming them with an SVT4 Pro in a biamped configuration.

Here are links to the cabs I'm looking at, for reference purposes:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBA410

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBA115

I'm looking for a crisp, tight sound with a rich but clean low end. I play a mix of progressive and doom metal but am looking for a tone more like the one on Cradle of Filth's "Cruelty and the Beast" to stand out from the guitars more.

Its been several years since I last bought and amp, so all advice is appreciated.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Can of worms, bro.

You can do better than Behringer... they make good stuff, but its not really uh... "their" stuff per se...

For similar prices, you can get used ampeg, peavey, SWR, etc...

have you looked at www.avatarspeakers.com ?

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    There are only on couple of people on here who have actually tried them out. You might want to search Behringer + Cab.

4. Seems like they're going after Hartkes design with this one. Looks almost exactly like their XL and VX series with a different name and higher wattage rating. They probably sound pretty much the same too. You'd probably be better off with the avatars.

5. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    *backs slowly out of thread and then runs like hell*

:eek:

6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Some of that Behringer stuff looks a lot like products made by other companies. In fact, some of the mixer boards and that bass head look like exact copies. What's the story on Behringer anyway?? Should I buy their products or not???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yes. Sorry. Correct. Do a search. You'll get tonnes of discussion about that.

8. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I've seen many Behringer threads turn into a flame fest. So befor this one goes that route (and we all know it will) I must say that I have tried the Behringer 410 and 810 with the 3000BX head and walked away mildly impressed. I consider myself to be a snob, but at least with the MIM Jazz bass that I used at GC, the stuff sounded good. That may not be the case on a gig.

I would have some reservations about this stuff. The knobs on the head seemed like they would fall of if you look at them too hard. And the carpet on the cabinets looked like the cheapest stuff that they could find. But tonally, from what I could hear in GC, they were good.

Would I personally buy them. Not on your life. I like my stuff durable and I personally have issue with the way they take advantage of other people's designs. I don't care for disposable gear. I like my stuff to work for years to come. I only want to buy new gear when I want to, not when something is broken. But I do think that it could serve as something for a person that is of limited funds and doesn't have my values system. I could even consider recommending the stuff to someone. But know what you are getting. you may get something that lasts for a while. But then you may get something that will fall apart the time you get home. But go in with your eyes wide open.

I hope this helps you out. the best advice I can give you is to go to Guitar Center or another retailer that sells the stuff and try it out.

Glad I got this in before the Flaming started.

9. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I think we need to get another Behringer thread going. I don't know if I should get the Ashdown Mag600R bass head or the new Behringer BX6000T?? The Behringer is a lot cheaper. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

10. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Well they are both made in china now so I guess I wouldn't feel as bad about buying the Behringer over the Ashdown...

My conscience has recently become larger then my wallet...

11. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    IMHO, stay away from anything with "Behringer" on it.

12. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    First post and I stir up a hornet's nest without trying...typical.

Honestly I could care less how a company gets their designs borederline theft is common in every company and every industry. I do care if the resulting product doesn't do what I want it to, or fails because its made cheaply. I'm generally leary of anything "discount" but have been impressed with other Behringer speakers I've seen and played through (my studio uses Truth 2301As, old band had Behringers in the PA) so I figured maybe the bass cabs were a good shot.

I will look elsewhere though...everywhere except Ampeg. I don't need to pay and extra $600 so their logo is plastered all over my rig.

So what's the deal on Avatars? Not heard of them before today.

13. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I'd buy Behringer over Ashdown any day of the week! Anyway, back to the topic, any serious opinions of real testers about these cabs?

ANDRUCA

14. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I guess my opinion wasn't good enough. :meh:

15. jasonc

jasonc

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I was in G.C. on Saturday...
    I have the BX3000T with a GK 410sbx at home and play a MIM Fender Jazz. On Saturday I was "browsing" in G.C. and saw the new Behringer 810 cabinet. Holy Crap. It's large and looks like it's built relatively well. It was paired up with the BX3000T head I own.

So, natural progression takes place.

I grab a MIM Jazz, plug the sucker in, and was amazed. The cab sounded great. Comparable to my GK410sbx ($439 if i remember correct).The Behringer 810 cab was $599.00.
    I feel cheated. I wish I had this instead.
    If my better half wasn't there with me, and If I didn't have a friggin' Cavalier - I probably would have bought it and ended up sleeping on the couch that night.

bottom line, if it sounds good and the price is right - and you won't have to sleep on the couch - go for it.

16. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    There are some people who have tried them on this thread. Check this one out.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164827

A lot of times when a Behringer discussion starts it is never about the equipment and it turns into a major flame war over morals. :bawl: :bawl:

I have tried two of the cabs and they are not bad. If I didn't have my Avatars I would probably pick one of them up. I tried the aluminum 115 and the 410.

17. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've also played the aluminum 410 and it sounded pretty good. The price was about right and had I been looking for a 4x10 I would have bought it (I build my own gear though, so doubtful I'll be buying any cabs anytime soon).