Behringer V-Amp.. will this work for me? Is it a good buy??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Mar 5, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am thinking about getting a behringer v-amp. I like the shape control feature to even out the strings a little. Also, i would like to get some sort of driver so maybe, with all the options this thing has, i can find at least one that will fatten up my low-end. I play in a classic rock cover band, so basically i am just looking for solid, pure low-end tone without any unnecessary frills. I

s this thing gig worthy? Will it add lots of hiss to my output?

From what i have said, do you think this thing suits my needs?
  2. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    the v-amp is loosely based on the pod. problem with it is that it does have the "frills" - amp and cab modelling and fx banks etc. ive never used a v-amp, but im gonna go ahead and recommend another product ive never used, the sansamp bass driver DI.
  3. Marshes

Sep 20, 2004

Your trying to give information on a product you've never used?

Anyways, I have a V-amp Pro in my rack (pretty much same as the regular v-amp, just rackmount) and its VERY gig worthy. I havent had any problems with it what so ever. The only thing that i have to complain is you cant turn off the Amp-Simulation without bypassing the whole thing. But it's not that big of a deal. Its a great unit. (edit) It adds NO hiss to your signal at all, it's got a de-noiser built in.
  4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I just won one on ebay for $71US so i guess i am committed now! A pretty good price if it does all its suppossed to.

Here is a silly question: others have complained about no on/off switch and that the only way to power-down is to unplug it. True?

I am not a knob twiddler so as long as it has 2 or 3 useable settings, I will just leave it on one of those.

How well does the compression work? Does it chop off highs and lows noticeably or does it do it smoothly?
  5. I'm wondering about buying it also...Behringer rips things off and makes them cheaper, but I'm very happy with my Hartke imitation Behringer 1200:D
  6. Marshes

Sep 20, 2004
    The compressor/limiter is very nice. It keeps the level constant with no audible noises. Smoothly
  7. psionide

Feb 19, 2005
    Arendal, Norway
    Yes it`s true, there is no on/off button on the regular v-amp. I think there is one on the pro model (not sure) though, but if you already bought the regular one, I guess that won`t help much :rolleyes:

You`ll just have to keep pulling that plug :D
  8. I actually picked up the Pro version of this off of a TBer recently to function as a preamp for my power/pre set up. Hopefully it'll work alright...
  9. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yes i gave information about a product ive never used, but the information i gave was not anything that needs to be garnered from experience with the unit. furthermore i cited the fact that id never used it for reasons of honesty.

torin made mention of not wanting a unit "with all the frills" - meaning he didnt necessarily want a whole bunch of effects, being more interested just in tone shaping and drive - so i recommended the sabddi.

but seeing as youve acquired the v-amp cheaply im sure it will provide you with some measure of use.
  10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada

Yes, and also i like having the option of frills to "play" with at home, but onstage or rehearsal i wont go near them.
  11. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I had one of these, the pro model, and hated it. While it sounded ok, switching patches in mid song was just not possible without a loud pop. Also the bass synths and tuner where almost useless.
  12. Malus

Feb 20, 2005
    San Antonio Texas
    That is true. Also a WARNING: my buddy fried his V-Amp by plugging the cord into the wall, then plugging in the cable to his V-Amp. Beware!

Instead, plug your cable into the V-Amp first, then plug into the power source.

My buddy also complained about noisy pops when switching between effects as mentioned elsewhere.

Take a look at the Digitech B200 (
    It does essentially the same things as the Line6 and Behringer models in a self-contained metal stomp box. Some nice enhancements: in addition to the tuner, it also has a drum simulator - so you can work on your timing with various percussion styles, it has a stereo input - so you can pipe in recorded music to practice with. While it does not have midi functionality - this is more than made up for with the interface which seems easier to use than the other products (to me - your mileage may vary), and the display is text based - as opposed to having to remember which number you saved your setting under. It includes a volume/Wha pedal in addition to the up/down stomp switches. (Some folks have complained about the volume pedal breaking - but some of that could be related to it needing to be calibrated from time to time - RTFM!) Finally it includes noise reduction/compression the PDF manual at that link to review its can listen to sounds the pedal makes via links there as well.

I wanted something uncomplicated and a bit more sturdy than the other products - with features that would be useful to me as a neophyte bassist. The Digitech B200 fits the bill for me - so I bought one (awaiting delivery as we speak). I'll let you know if it lives up to my expectations.... :eyebrow:

(Alot of folks complained about not being able to switch between effects live - unless the saved settings were side by side. Well - DUH! With 40 slots to save your settings in you can afford to copy a few of the same settings so you have them together with the proper neighboring effects to make this work. Most of the complaints I saw were due to misunderstanding how to use the equipment :rolleyes: )
  13. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    While i understand the advantages of being able to switch saved settings according to different songs, this is something which i wont ever likely do. I am not a knob twiddler. Plus, the more "things" are changed b/n songst etc, the more likely there will be some sort of problem and that is definitely not what one wants to happen at a gig.

I got the v-amp on ebay for $71 so i could likely sell it for more than i paid for it thru local classifieds if it doesnt suit my needs.

Thanks for the infor on the digitech. If the v-amp doesnt work out i will look into the digitech.

An earlier post mentioned that the tuner on the v-amp sucks. Why?
  14. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I have the V-amp pro and I have to say I am thoroughly impressed. We all know where Behringer got the idea from but I will not dwell on that. I will talk about my experience with it.

I find this unit to be very versatile. It is capable to acheive a variety of sounds. As I have said in other posts this unit is for knob twiddlers. If you like to play with knobs (oh boy!!!) :oops: then this is the preamp for you. The amp simulation area cops your various brand name amplifiers. Fender, SWR, Eden, GK, Ampeg, and others. And the v-amp does this very well IMO. You can get the hi-fi sheen of a SWR or the grit and overdrive of an Ampeg or GK. The best setting I think is the Tube setting. If you like simple warm tone then that is your setting.

The effects are nice also but it takes some time to set them up properly. That I think is the biggest gripe with this thing. You need a lot of time to fiddle and adjust this unit and if you have the time you can coax some sweet tone out of her. If not don't even bother because IMO this is far from plug and play. The original presets are good but some go to far. Also some are dead quiet and others are noisy as all get out. You can use it live but I really think the v-amp is perfect for recording. Enough outputs for anything you need to hook it up to.

The other big knock I have is how cheap the unit feels. I have had mine for over a year now and runs with no problems. I baby my equipment though and those of you with butterfingers or heavy hands may not be so lucky. I would not recommend dropping it if you know what I mean.

Sometime next week I am going to order a BBE Bmax and replace the v-amp in my rack with that. A little smaller and hopefully a little more pro sounding. I will use the V-amp at home and for recording. I may eventually sell it if it starts collecting dust. Hope this helps. PM me if you have any other questions.
  15. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    Can you run a bass in the keyboard modeling modes? How's that sound?
  16. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have a V-Amp Pro that is racked alongside my Hartke head (a 5000). I agree with some of the comments above -

It isn't great straight out of the box, you have to read the manual and work at getting the sounds you want
    Some of the amp and cab simulations are really excellent
    Effects are generally passable, but the bass synth is not a lot of use
    EQ is fine with most amp sims
    The denoiser is fairly simple (works when you don't play, as normal), but hiss isn't a problem if you avoid extreme settings, as with any EQ/effects
    With the Pro version, there is an off switch and you can bypass the pre-amp and leave effects all "off"
    Compressor isn't great, but it works
    Tuner is slightly "confusable" with open strings. Tune using harmonics and it works absolutely fine.

I tend to have two or three presets for each of my basses and that's about it, but for those it's definitely helps me get a better sound. I don't switch sounds often in songs, but changing presets doesn't make a thump on mine (although there is a slight delay, say 1 second, before the new sound kicks in - not a problem between songs).

Reliability seems okay, but I wouldn't kick it about! And yes, I would replace it if it got stolen. Hope this info is helpful to anyone thinking of getting one.