Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer V-TONE BASS BDI21

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by madthumbs, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Has anyone got one? I am most likely going to buy one in the next couple of days just to try it out, but i just want to know other peoples thoughts, apperently for its price and all that it is meant to be pretty good.

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i havent tried it, but its so cheap that its hardly a risk to try it.

try harmony-central or searching the forums, i know ive read a review somewhere, maybe on music123?

3. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I picked one up last week. Considering the price, it's worthwhile to have imo. I'm surprised how good the tone I get out of this thing actually is and all for just $30! :)

4. I recently bought one too. I see it as a DI with a 2 band equalizer and a tube emulator. It has a blend knob that combines your clean sound with the tube sound. The tube part has a drive knob and a presence knob. You can get real distorted sounds with the drive and blend fully open. It gives an bit of a hiss at that setting but that's not enough to worry about (IMO). It sounds best for me with the 'SVT' or 'fat tube' setting.

The casing feels solid. The bottom is made out of metal, the rest out of plastic. But it feels strong. My only concern is the footswitch. That's plastic too and doesn't feel long lasting. But hey, we'll see :)

5. thanks for the comments guys, im ordering one next monday or even tonight, we'll see how we go. Ill search for some reviews

6. Chube

Chube

Jul 2, 2005
    Milano - Italia
    I need some distorsion (just a pinch) on my bass to make my sound "broader" during my guitarist soloes (we have only 1 guitar). should I go for the BDI21 or the boss ODB3 (or its Behringer counterpart ;) )?

what do you guys think?

PS: we play hard rock/ metal but I don't want any heavy distorsion

7. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    You will get more distortion from the BOD100 than your will from the BDI21

8. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    My BDI21 is in the mail.I will give a report after i've had some time to play with it.........

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I talked to a music store guy last week.
    He ordered 5. 3 sold. 2 returned because they broke already.

10. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I second what Justice said.

11. Chube

Chube

Jul 2, 2005
    Milano - Italia
    I got the BDI21 today (36 euros here in Milan). Just tried it in the shop so I still can't say much but..

I can get the slight amount of distortion I was lookin for, but I need to turn the Drive to max.
    So if you need a really distorted sound it's not for you.

But I like also the intermediate sounds with little drive... How come I can't get them out of my 350W head? Maybe because I must play it with knobs on 1??

12. I have one and I love it for the price, it just warms up my tone a little bit and it just sounds good to me

13. I am actually thinking about getting one of these and one of their GDI21's which is Behringer's version of the Sansamp GT2 guitar tube emulator. I've had a Sansamp BDDI before and couldn't turn the gain up enough to distort without a massive amount of hiss. I was thinking that I could daisy chain the BDI21 & GDI21, use the BDI for the bass tube warmth, and switch on the GDI if I wanted to distort a bit. There are three different levels of distortion available and three different amp models available on it, so it should be possible to add warm grit to a bass sound.

14. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    Hey fourstring, did you try the guitar version as you said?
    What's your opinion?

15. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I have the Behringer BDI21.

I prefer my Sansamp GT2 to the Behringer device.
    Don't get me wrong, the Behringer is OK for what it does and the price can't be argued. However, for my use the GT2 is more flexible and the controls more responsive. YMMV

fwiw, I have the bass going thru the GT2 then to a ARTTube MP as a DI/preamp to either a PA or poweramp head/cab rig.

16. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Get the BDI21. Much more versatility. And if you want just a pinch, the BDI is better suited. I have (had - just ebay'd it) an ODB3 and found it to be really quite worthless in the subtlety department.

17. I'm thinking about getting one of these next month. How is the DI out? I've read that the volume is weak - is this true? I want to be able to plug in and the run the mixing board.

18. its pretty good, its just my amp. i havnt really been able to do anything wiht it cause it wont run well through a 15 watt fender amp. it barely makes a difference in tone, the most noticable is when the level is all the way up and blend is up, but it dosnt work very well for the amp. i'll post again when i screw around with it on my ashdown when it gets here

19. basseuphoria

basseuphoria

May 19, 2005
    is it just me or has anybody tried this thing w/ out the processed part (in other words, not using it when the 'red' LED is on.) w/ my jazz and no EQ(just flat)this thing sounds great!!!! also works well into a board this way. 3 different sound guys have said it was the best feed for bass they ever heard!

20. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I sent the processed out of my Pod to the BDI in, and then take it (BDI unprocessed) to the board and to my power amp.

Sounds absolutely fabulous.