Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer V-Tone Bass DI Delivered

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by B.Hendrix, Apr 24, 2005.

1. B.Hendrix

B.Hendrix

Mar 24, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    I preordered one of these with Music123 a couple weeks ago for $29.99 and it arrived yesterday!

Yes - its pretty much a version of Sansamp Bass DI - same controls and functionality. Sansamp is a more solidly built unit, but I prefer the layout of the Behringer over the two.

Soundwise - to my ears, not much difference. The Behringer will give you very good tube emulation (Fat tube and SVT settings). Plugged it into a Harke 4000 - flat settings - Mesa Boogie Diesel 1X15 and played my Spector. VERY warm sound - very SVT-like - I was pleasantly surprised.

Having fun adjusting the settings and getting a wide array of very usable sounds out of it! For $29.99 - this thing can't be beat!

Very satisfied with the purchase! :D

2. $30 huh? Can't complain about the price! I just bought a MXR M-80. Do you have any experience with the M-80? How does the Behringer compare if so? Just curious.

Congrats! It's hard to find anything in this profession/hobby that's cheap but good.

3. Sheesh $30 bucks! I've been kinda sorta meaning to pick up a BDDI, but the price was never right. Now...

4. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I ordered one.
    Even if the switch goes bad in a year, who cares? I'm not paying 150 bucks for BDDI, i'll take to the 30 dollar clone.

5. B.Hendrix

B.Hendrix

Mar 24, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Sorry Jay T, no experience with the M-80. This unit is comparable to a Sansamp Bass DI for ALOT less money. If you've been thinking about a Sansamp, this is the way to go for low $$$

6. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway
    B.Hendrix, Does the unit produce much noise? I've heard that Behringer devices have problems with to much noise.

7. B.Hendrix

B.Hendrix

Mar 24, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    I haven't noticed any problem with noise. I've yet to play in a band setting with it, so I've not played it very loud yet.

Haven't found anything wrong with this $30 buck purchase!

8. Thanks man. I didn't get the M-80 as a cheap alternative to the sansamp. I had other motives in mind. :ninja: I was just curious. :D

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hm, may give that a shot...

Still waiting for the pedals to come through though...

10. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway
    Another question for you B.Hendrix. Does the Behringer unit have any form of overdrive or distortion that you can dial in? If so, can you get a real heavy drive sound?

11. Hey man, sound clips pleeeeease?

12. B.Hendrix

B.Hendrix

Mar 24, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Sorry - dont have the ability to post sound clips. If you're looking for heavy overdrive, look elsewhere. You're not going to get a pronounced distortion with this unit. You will get a much warmer, fatter bottom with the ability to shape highs and lows.

Its a sansamp knockoff without the sansamp price tag!

13. Only problem is that it looks DAMN ugly. Maybe if I tried a different housing I'd be happy...

14. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    is the DI protected?

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Leave it to Behringer to make a modeler that models another modeler. :p

16. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    The behringer may sound nice or something. But there's something to be said about the BDDI making my girlfriend's Mesa/boogie bass 400+ sound BETTER. I'm not sure the behringer would simply be that hi-fi, and versatile to make such an amazing amp sound better.

17. The real deal is always going to be better :p

One thing tho, you say you cant get a heavily overdriven sound with the behringer? i sure as hell can with the sansamp . . .

Good price i spose tho

18. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    No, you can't! I own an RBI and the most you can get is a (very modest) overdriven sound (and I tested this with very hot output instruments). It's not meant to be a distortion device but a bass preamp/DI.

ANDRUCA

19. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Mine ships from Woodwind and Brasswind on 04/30/05....I can't wait.
    -Bazz-

20. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    For $30, I'll have to try one. Just can't pass it up. Thanks for the quick review.