1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Behringer vintage distortion VD1

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the low one, Feb 25, 2008.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I’ve found the odd mention of the Behringer vintage distortion VD1 here but not much. Does it do a passable job at copying the Big Muff? It says it has a “hard wired” bypass, is that the same as true bypass? Anyone got any sound samples?

2. I've only seen one demo of it, and it was with guitar, not bass. I think it was on Gearwire.

3. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    bump
    Has anyone tried the VD1 on bass ?

4. Usually not, it's a play with words on their marketing people. A lot of companies add a word between "true" and "bypass" like hardwired or hardware or something like that.

5. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass

i saw that too. im pretty sure it was gearwire too..they said it was a pretty accurate copy.. knowing behringer... it COULD be an exact copy..

6. Jones.

Jones. Guest

Hello fiends,

I am looking for effects for my passive bass and have my eye on a few.
    Please excuse me, I use Behringer pedals ;) due to price.

The Vintage Distortion VD1 looks OK, I have searched the forums here and also read the 'finally' review. Unfortunately that review does not discuss the sound produced.
    I have also Googled to death.

I am aware this is not an exclusive bass pedal, and is intended (perhaps only) for guitar.
    Advice greatfully received if the BOD400 is strictly recommended for my needs.

I would appreciate if anyone who has used/uses a VD1 would please leave their thoughts. This is my first post. many thanks.

7. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I can't help to tell how it sounds... but:

With the EHX Big Muffs as cheap as they are already (IMO), why would you go for an even cheaper knockoff?
    Or better yet, look for a used Big Muff.

Not to knock on Behringer, I even like some of their stuff, and maybe the VD1 sounds good. I dunno.

Just my 2 cents.

8. Jones.

Jones. Guest

Thanks René.

2 cents... that's about my budget!

9. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    :D hehe

Been there, done that. When I was a student even picking up a used BOSS CEB-3 meant some serious consideration of budget. (Cutting into my gas&beer money.)

10. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    I used the Vintage Tube Overdrive for a spell, I usually like Behringer pedals, but this one just sounded terrible. Maybe a lemon, but maybe the VD1 is similar in that sense?

11. Jones.

Jones. Guest

Thanks for the info on the VTO Kromwarp, one to avoid.

12. I've used extensively the VD1 on bass, and it sounds great. If anything, it copies better the Russian Muff than the Big Muff Pi NYC (or whatever they call the american one). It gives great sustain, fairly good tone and kept much more low end than I expected, though it sucked lows, it wasn't that bad. I used it live for the most part and gave a great distortion to my bass. It is not a "classic fuzz" sound, the same as the Big Muff. I'd recomend it in a heartbeat, but beware of what dc you put into it, the slightest noise from power adapter and it hums LOUDER than the notes.

13. Jones.

Jones. Guest

Hey thanks for the good word CamiloDíaz, I will be using the recommended Behringer power supply so hopefully a quiet addition to the chain.

14. Jones.

Jones. Guest

I just bought a Behringer BOD100 Bass Overdrive. It is excellent, £16 off Ebay which seems to be the going rate there.

15. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    You can easily get rid of most of it with a cap (100uF to 470uF) and some solder(ing). :)

16. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    I would say do NOT get the Behringer. It will probably be dead in under a year. They have thin plastic cases and a tendency to randomly break down. Jacks wear out quickly, pots become a nightmare.

I just purchased an EHX Bass Big Muff. I'm not trying to gloat here. I got mine for £35gbp because it was a 2nd somehow. I phoned the seller to find out why it was a 2nd and apparently there was a glitch in the paintwork. I have yet to find this fault. The cardboard box was a bit beaten, but that was all.

Find a 2nd hand muff or a scratch 'n' dent Bass bigmuff or similar. They are more expensive than the Behringer but they will last.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Some Behringer stuff sounds good and some is real crap. I have a behringer combo amp that sounds great. But one Behringer pedal I bought was pretty lame.

18. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    The "Vintage-series" doesn't. They all come in sheet metal cases.