1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Behringer Vintage Tube

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kromwarp, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    I was thinking about purchasing a Vintage Tube pedal from Behringer. Would it work for a bass, or not?

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Which one? There are several. :eyebrow:

They'll all work on bass, but some may not hold up the low end well. We could probably tell you which ones wouldn't be low-frequency-friendly based on what the pedal in question is trying to copy.

3. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    i knew this would come up eventually....
    i have the VT999 (ive heard bad things about the VT911). it's the tube overdrive pedal.
    i did some fairly simple mods to it and it improved the sound dramatically. i'm fairly satisfied with it these days...except when GAS strikes...

here's the thread. there are some decent soundclips at the bottom, and i put them on the effects wiki too.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441722

4. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    The VT911

5. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    What have you heard about the VT911?

6. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    from what i can tell they are built around the same circuitry, but the VT999 has a few more bells, whistles, noise gate and 3-band EQ.

i think most of what i heard about the VT911 was on harmony central.
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Behringer/VT911/10/1

people seem to like it in a hideous sort of way- mostly just guitarists there though.

the VT999 has a much higher rating, for what its worth and some bass players like it too [myself included].
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Behringer/VT999+Tube+Monster/10/1

i like my pedal pretty well, have even gotten compliments on it believe it or not. i think i am going to change it some more tonight...maybe give the ol 12at7 another shot.

stock it sounded like...majorly bad. NO ONE who reviewed either of these kept them stock. so keep that in mind.
    i swapped out an input cap too to make it more bass friendly. that with the 3-band EQ=no bass suck. and the bypass doesn't suck tone either.

oh yeah, and when using my active bass, i need to turn down the volume on my bass to get it to do clean boost at all. that is why i am going to try the 12at7 again...maybe even find a 12ay7 for kicks....