1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Behringer XR 18 Subgroups

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by musicman7722, Sep 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I am coming from the Mackie DL1608 world. I can't for the life of me figure out how to creat a subgroup. I need it for my drummer who plays a VDrum kit and I really would like a master volume control for his 5 channels.

It would also be good to create a second for vocals and a third for guitars and bass. Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i don't know that you need an actual subgroup (which feeds all those channels through the same processing) as much as just DCAs (which just put all the selected faders under the control of one fader). i'm pretty sure it's doable, but not sure how.

it's certainly doable on the android x-air Q monitor app, where a bunch of channels can be assigned to be controlled by one of four faders when you turn your tablet vertical.

3. I did a trial tonight. Setup a new scene and it did seem to do the job. I tried it with my IEM on the main out and then two of the IEM bus outs. The DCA worked on the main out and not the bus out which is good. I will try it with the fronts tomorrow to be sure as well. My first gig with this mixer is Friday. I think I will only try the Drum DCA/Sub on that gig.

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    You can assign each channel to one or more DCA or Mute groups on the "main" channel screen on the app.
    Selecting a mute group will mute all the channels on it..
    Selecting a DCA group will pull up the fader (where it is depends on which app you are using). You can mute the desired DCA group or adjust levels.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  5. A DCA group is probably the best solution for your use case, but it is also possible to use one of the busses as a sub group. Go to the sends page of each channel you want to assign to the group, select the bus you want to use, switch it to 'sub group'. Now when you have that layer selected you will see an assign button instead of a fader. Set the output of the bus to the main LR on the bus output page. Now that bus is a regular sub group, feeding the main mix.

6. Thank you all as always. I can't find how to assign a channel to more than one DCA. I am out of buses :(

7. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    On the Android app.
    it's in the main channel screen... top right hand side under "main".
    Select main.
    There's 4 DCA buttons... ot top and 4 mute groups below that

It looks like you can only select ONE DCA group (or none) per channel, but can select multiple mute groups.

8. Yes I had that same feeling so that won't help me either :( grrrr

9. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    What is the need for assigning an input channel to more than one DCA?

10. OK in my case I'd like one for the drums to adjust the overall volume in the fronts. I would also like all of the drums in a DCA that would allow me to silence them in the fronts during breaks but still have them un-muted so my users can hear them in their IEM during the break in case they need to adjust their mix.

If this were an analog board like a Mackie 1604 you could do that.

Chris

11. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Muting the drums DCA won't allow this? It should mute only the output of the DCA, but not the outputs of the drum inputs to the monitor sends.