Behringer, Yes Behringer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alrighty, every time i ask on here about something behringer, people chuck a ****, and accuse them of copying ashdowns amp (basically) but i wanna know, is there any real proof of this besides simular face plates?, and what is the bad thing of behringer....personally, i think they make great amps, of what ive played....personally, im really excited about the new cabinets being only upset about there not making a 2x15...but what i wouldnt mind trying is the 2 different 15" cabs their making, aluminium cone and paper cone, they both handle 600w @ 8 ohm.....but still, if they are just modifying ashdown amps, they're doing the same thing that mesa/boogie did with the fender princeton circut, but i dont really care as long as it sounds good and wont make my wallet whimper and cry for 5 years until i can pay it off
  2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I recently tried the Behringer BXT3000. I have to admit, for the price I don't think you can buy a better amp. The tone was, well, quite agreeable. I didn't like the knobs though. Cheap and cheesy IMO. The sub-bass was pretty much pointless to me but who knows, if I had more time with the amp, I might even find a use for it. I tried it even on a big Ampeg 810 and it was loud. I will be interested to hear their cabs when I get the chance.
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I don't know if there is any proof that Behringer copied Ashdown, but Behringer has made some pretty obvious copies in the past. If I remember correctly... they've copied QSC, Mackie, ART, dbx, and several others. I think they were even sued by Mackie.

Most of this is just going off what I've heard though, so it may not be completely valid. I hope someone who knows what he/she is talking about will come and fill in the details for me. :)
  4. thats why im soo ****ted over this, theres plenty of word of mouth but no hard proof, but still, they provde me, the student, cheap great sounding gear...keeps me happy and them in buisness :p
  5. Just thought i'd pipe in...I dont know anything about Behringer's bass line, but I had a guitar amp from them one time, worked great for about six months when it stopped working, got another one on warranty that latsted about three days so that is my complaint with behringer...I have a small mixing board though that is great, perhaps they should stick to that sort of thing...
  6. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Agreed, the mixers and things like that seem high quality and are certainly cheap.

I think the best thing that can be said about the instrument amplification is only that they are cheap. :scowl:

Just my opinion.
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    No Proof? Dude Mackie sued them and won! Unfortunately it was too little too late and Mackie had to cut their losses and sell up.

Buy used!

I'm gonna post this, then I'm gonna unsubscribe from this thread. It's all been said before................
  8. I like Behringer's cheap and reliable...their PA equipment is great considering the price, and I wouldn't expect any less from their bass equipment...above standard quality for low budget gear.
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Behringer gear is cheap, but it certainly is NOT reliable. After all, that's why its so cheap . . . feel the knobs, budget components, for sure. Crack one open and take a peek around.

Nothing wrong with budget gear, but you have to take it for what it is. Fine for around-the-house use, but I sure wouldn't want to drag it around to the bumps and bruises of gigs and expect it to last long.

Funny note, one of the PA companies we hire had a Behringer crossover in their rack, full of otherwise high-end gear. One side started crackling terribly at soundcheck. After tracing back every piece of gear, turns out it was the Behringer crossover. Less than 6 months old. They have THREE separate PA systems. They eventually had the SAME PROBLEM with all three Behringer crossovers.

Go figure . . . . :scowl:
  10. My Berhinger Autocom was a joke. I think with this stuff, what you pay for is what you get (in most cases) with stuff like that now 3000 dollar Aguilar amp being the exception. Don't buy cheap stuff that needs to last and/or not screw you in the long run.
  11. guess we've been blessed...we've never had any thing but good out of our Behringer stuff.
  12. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I have the 30 watt bass combo for dragging into small noise sensitive pubs for guitar/bass/pints of Guinness. I have had it 13 months. It smells like an ashtray, cuz everyone smokes here, and it works just fine.

I'll be clear, this is no B-15, Bassman, or other good quality amp. I don't have the desire to drop big $$$ over priced amps in Switzerland. It has more than paid for itself, and if it died it will get walked to the curb on Monday morning.

Would I buy another one? No. I would buy the 60 watt model for the slightly extra push.

It's not my main amp. It comes in handly for off times when I don't need big watts and lugging gear down the street.
  13. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    FWIW, it seems Behringer copies alot of things, not just bass equipment, just look at thier site and you can see, like DJ mixers...

Pioneer: ($900)

Behringers response: ($200)
    Vestax: ($300)

Behringers response: ($150)
    QSC rmx-2450: ($600)

Behringers response: ($250)

They look really similar with the face plate design and colors, aswell as all of the same functions, look at the ashdown amps, hartke aluminum speakers, its all copied and for much cheaper, but the real brands are built better, how much?, i dunno.

I dont have an opinion, but they copy more stuff than just bass equipment, FWIW
  14. It should be pretty obvious that they're offering "generic" versions of the real thing. It's not much different than all of the Sam's Choice stuff that Wal-Mart sells. Do you buy the $3.29 pepsi or the $1.99 sam's cola? Obviously it's not a perfect analogy because a company like Ashdown makes a much lower profit than Pepsi but you see what I'm saying. To some people the cheapo is just as good and to some they'll accept nothing but the real deal.

I really wouldn't worry about it. If it really bothers you just cover up the logos on your stuff when you play out.
  15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    They're not "generic" copies, they're just copies.

Sure, they can save money by not having to do the hard work of design and by substituting lower-grade components and by covering their butt with a much shorter warranty.

If a company sees other manufacturers as just suckers with designs to take, do they also see end users as just suckers with money to take?
  16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
  17. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    +1 :ninja:
  18. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I get furious over this copying and duplicating business. Yeah designs have been duplicated over the last 40 years but the good folks use it as a starting block and work from there. Jim Marshall ring a bell ?? They don't look like Fenders anymore !!

Behringer. Have had Composers die, entire Eurodesk consoles and power supplies go south, etc.

Bob Lee, thanks for chiming in on this one.
  19. well has anyone ever gotten the same behringer and non behringer product and done a side by side comparison...

ive had a behringer bx108 for 2 and a half years so far, being used 5+ hours a day, and the only problem i had was a spark from the switch once and that was 6 months after i bought it, since then ive had no problems...i also think this is one of the best practise amps ive tried too, the only amp id choose over this (that ive tried) would be a roland cube 30

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.