Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Behringer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spikyhedgehog, Jan 17, 2005.

1. spikyhedgehog

spikyhedgehog

Dec 10, 2004
    England
    I am going to buy a 4 x 10 soon enough, for around £200. I was wondering if there was anything 'wrong' about the Behringer Ultrabss BB410 as it is the same price as any other low level 4 x 10 yet it can handle 1,200W, which is handy for me playing through a B4R.

I mean, this cabinet can handle more than 3 times the power than similar cabinets in this price range. Just wondering if this is too good to be true? :meh:

2. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    I would love to find out the answer of that question in respect of the bA410 and its little bro BA210.. with the Alu cones.. even Harmony Central didn't give much away!

3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
  4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Power handling in and of itself tells you next to nothing about how well a cabinet will sound. Try before you buy.

5. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    Are these the aluminium speaker ones? If so I wouldn't bother. I've played the 2x10 and 1x15 and whilst they were OK and cheap they weren't as good as the other cabinets in that price range. The main thing I didn't like about them was that they seemed to be moving alot for a medium volume.

I'll post back when I've played the 4x10 and 8x10.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Well, I just checked out their 410 cabs this evening. I played through a Schecter 004 Elite and GL Tribute 2500 and a BX3000T head. I never pushed either cab hard. On the head I was at about 2 or 3 on the output with the Ultrabass turned off.

Personally, I didn't like the sound of the paper coned version especially with the 5 string. It was really muddy and undefined (my Trace 2x15 is way tighter than this cab) for my taste. It didn't appear to like anything lower than B on the E string. I tweaked the head and basses to try and tighten it up and stop it from distorting with no luck. However, the top end response was absolutely sweet. It was round and warm.

I really didn't expect much from the aluminum coned version but what the heck. Wow, what a difference! It took a little adjustment (because of playing with the other one) but the bottom end didn't turn to mud. It was much more defined and punchy. The highs had more bite or some might say a "harshness" to them. Not bad at all but not as sweet as the paper cone version.

If I was going to pick one for my style and taste in music it would be the aluminum version without a doubt. I would say that you definately would want to try them out and see which one is better for you. Maybe the paper coned version not handling the lows was a fluke or was just something about how I play. Ofcourse for about the same money you could buy an Ashdown cab and they definately sound good.

A couple of things I did notice was that the tweeters on the cabs were either off or on. No variable volume control. Also, the cabs had wheels built in to them on the side that would make it easier to drag around on a stage or a hard smooth surface. They were not big enough for anything else. Well thats my 2 cents worth, hope it helps.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    where the heck are those darned popcorn and beer smileys when you need them??

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've got the big bucket; you can share mine.
    [​IMG]

9. spikyhedgehog

spikyhedgehog

Dec 10, 2004
    England
    I would buy the ashdown, but it only handles 350W and I dont want to blow the speakers.

I just needed the extra headroom in the speakers for peace of mind. Could you recommend any other 4 x 10's that go for around £200, new or used.

10. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I tend to believe that high power ratings have nothing to do with how a speaker sounds, because each speaker may stand the 300W but, do the cones stand it? At what power do they start farting? At what power do they definitely break? I think the only way to go for undistorted sound and volume handling (this is what we need, volume, am I right?) is to meticulously look at the speakers' excursion (how much it has to move to produce a given dB level). Look at the speakers' specs and you'll find the Xmax values (maximum excursion), 'cause this is what will guarantee (or not) loud "unfarted" volume. And regarding 10" speakers, they are defintely not intended for working on the <100Hz frequency range without excessive excursion. If you need sub-lows, add 18"s, or 15" (if you feel 18"s are too slow moving and you lose punch -and I do-). I recently used the blue coned Ashdown Mag 4x10" and it started farting out at very quiet volumes (my Hartke 4.5XL doesn't fart even at double the power). They are rated the same so, what's the difference? The answer is EXCURSION! Also take a look at SENSITIVITY. This tells how efficient is your cab, I mean, lower sensitivity means you need mor power to produce the same dB pressure. Higher sensitivity means the cab is more efficient and it can produce higher volumes with less power.

ANDRUCA

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Where are they built? :bag:

12. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Ignore the power handling specs, they just tell you what the thermal limits are, and you'll hit the mechanical limits (speaker excursion) way before that. I'm putting 1800W into two 350W 2x10" cabs and they handle it just fine.

Check out Peavey cabs - their 4x10" and 4x12" are big and heavy but loud with plenty of bottom. And IME it takes serious abuse to break anything with a Peavey badge on it!

Alex

13. spikyhedgehog

spikyhedgehog

Dec 10, 2004
    England
    Yay, peavey. Buying one of them now. They look better anyway. Thanks

14. spikyhedgehog

spikyhedgehog

Dec 10, 2004
    England
    Well, now wait for one to come on ebay. Soooon please, or if any of you have a 4 x 10 you might want to sell I would be very interseted. Basically I have £200 and I want one asap. Any help would be great. (Im in the uk btw)

Thank you :hyper:

15. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses &amp; Cort Basses
    I've never had any problems with my Hartkes and you can get them pretty cheap... and probably new! :bassist:

16. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I would be very cautious as it seems behringers are built very poorly. I bought a behringer 1200 combo and it died after 3 hours (not all at once) use. 3 hours! Lucky the store gave me a full refund. I have heard quite a few horror stories about the amps. Perhaps the cabs are ok though.

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Get over to bassworld.co.uk and check out User : Grimbles "Loud" cabinets. Theyre supposed to be very good.

18. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Hmm, I haven't. Other than yours and maybe a few others I haven't heard anything really negative about their products holding up. Heck, I have heard more complaints about Ampeg, Hartke, or GK than I have Behringer. Give them a another year and we will know the answer to how these amps and cabs are holding up.

19. spikyhedgehog

spikyhedgehog

Dec 10, 2004
    England
    What do you mean, I just find a forum. Explain user - grimbles then cabinets etc. I have found grimble the user but dont know what to do from there. :confused: