1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Being a bass player really sucks sometimes...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mbell75, Apr 9, 2017.

1. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    I knew there was a good reason I switched primarily to guitar years ago. Trying to find a drummer and a couple guitarists/vocalist who are passionate about making music is nearly impossible these days. Everyone has jobs, families etc...and Im certainly too old (42) to be playing in a band with college kids. Bass lines that sound great in a band mix sound pretty lame by themselves, so that led me to learning and writing some reggae but thats not a genre Ive ever liked much. So now Ive sold off my Ampeg BA210 and Im back to playing guitar primarily. Writing on guitar comes a bit easier for me, not to mention it sounds much better when played solo rather than a bass IMO. I thought about just recording drums, bass and guitar myself and finding a vocalist, but there is no fun in that as I want to jam with other musicians. Starting a new project thats just guitar, drums and vocals, very White Stripes/Black Keys/garage rock kinda thing. I figure if I want to give the sound more oomph, I can add the bass to it myself. Now I see how bands like Royal Blood and DFA 1979 got started. Bass players who's guitarists flaked all the time, they forced some guy to play drums and said "screw a guitar player, hold my beer". :D

Nephilymbass and Tom Bomb like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Maybe Record some bass tracks you and your drummer can use.

If you already have the equipment and rehearsal Space, just having to show up with a bass or guitar might entice a potential player. :thumbsup:

3. Just get one of those looper pedals that lets you store heaps on it, then queue one up as the click-track for the drummer.

4. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Both great suggestions!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I was just looking into looper pedals and bought the TC Electronic Ditto. It has 5 minutes of "record" time.

Some of the other pedals I was checking out only had 40 seconds of "record" time.

60bass and mbell75 like this.
  6. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Sounds like you are better off playing guitar.

Otherwise, I think being a bass player is great.:cool:

7. I see no reason to ever completely quit and/or sell off gear. Ya never know if or when something comes along. I haven't been in a band for about 4 years. The local scene seems to be dying off. It was mostly made up of dudes slightly older than me and we all have kids and careers now. Most of the locals in my area have an all or nothing approach. I'm slightly frustrated that playing guitar and bass doesn't double my odds at finding something.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm 46, and having a great time with two bands, one writing originals and the other playing covers. I'm the oldest in both groups - in the originals, the other guys are late 30s/early 40s, in the cover group, one is also that and the drummer is 22. That's not to criticize or rub it in your face or anything, but I'm loving being a bass player. You do get a lot of flakes among musicians and you do get people who can only commit so much time because of job and family, to be sure. It's not the same as being single and 20 and free to do whatever you want and live on ramen. But it doesn't need to hold you back. But if you're enjoying guitar, enjoy guitar. Do what works for you in your situation.

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i guess this means goodbye. i don't usually wish guitar players good luck, but...good luck! :roflmao:

10. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue

Oct 9, 2016
    I have more loopers than friends.

--^@

murphy, 60bass and mbell75 like this.
  11. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Never said I was giving up bass, just said I was primarily playing guitar recently. No reason to get all sentimental on us :laugh:

Old Blastard likes this.
  12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

cool beans! i officially withdraw my sentiment! :thumbsup:

13. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    I was about to introduce some sentiment of my own.....

Shan't bother now......:meh:

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Being a singing bass player is cool. I haven't explored it as much as I ought to. I feel like I can have a ton of control, potentially. Unfortunately, gigging at the less-than-top level SUCKS. What they pay, vs what you have to go through is NOT cool.

murphy likes this.
  15. TheSeagoats

TheSeagoats

May 21, 2015
    Maryland
    If you're looking to sound bigger with a single guitar you should use multiple amps. Japandroids guitar sounds huge and it's because he's playing through three or more amps, one of which is a bass amp.

mbell75 and GregC like this.
  16. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    "Being a bass player really sucks sometimes..."
    No it doesn't.

how-bout-no.

mbell75 and hrodbert696 like this.
  17. Sorry OP but I don't catch you ...
    Is it easier to find s good bass player when playing guitar? Personally I'd like to play with a good saxophonist and a creative pianist (pianist not keyboardist) but they are not that easy to find as amateurs who primarily want to enjoy themselves when playing, having another job (this is my condition)...
    So j should also quit playing ... no, absolutely not... musicality is a gift I was given and it must be cultivated .. however, I always found bass easier to play than guitar or piano and nod I'm too old to learn something else ... lucky you if you can proficiently play both bass and guitar :thumbsup:

18. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    My only problem with being a bassist is that I cannot make beautiful music by myself

TheSeagoats and mbell75 like this.
  19. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Learn the guitar then :D

ak56 likes this.
  20. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    I really like them and thats pretty close to the kind of style we are doing too. I need to see if they have a rig rundown.