1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Being a broke teenager in small town albera sucks.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DRN-PWNS, Oct 23, 2009.

1. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    Well i've been putting off new strings for close to 6 months, and last night broke my D and G string. so i went to *cough cough* phantoms music *cough couch* the only music store in town an decided to get my self some strings, i usually play elixirs but due to my general brokeness i decided that id get some Slinky's instead. Well a the music shop i realized something, $59.99 for regular slinky's, usually at this point i would have jumped in he man van and drove to L & M, where i can get the same stings for $29.99. But the man van was low on gas If i were to have filed it my trip would STILL have cost me less but i was in a hurry and needed o get going.

My question is Why he flying hell can a small shop charge so much?

Beer yet, how much would it cost o open a bass shop next door I'm really sick of this.

:rollno::rollno:

2. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I know it is tough when you break a string and do not have spares. Or a backup bass.

But guess what? The internet is your friend. Lot's of places online that will be much cheaper than that local shop, even with shipping.

My advice? Since you may be going through a pack or two a year. In a few months, buy a set, affordably, before you have a problem again. then, when you do change your strings, buy another pack to replace the one you took.

An once of prevention goes along way in your wallet! Broke ass teen or not. A monkey could save 30 bucks in a few weeks...

3. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    the issue isn't so much the cost, it was the fact that I needed them now. I had no were to go. the other issue is that i could not afford to change them, ideally id be changing every month.

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Nice punctuation. Switch to flats, and change your strings every 8 to 10 years.

5. PseudoSpaceman

PseudoSpaceman

Jul 5, 2009
    where are you in alberta, im in sherwood park

6. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    Cochrane.

7. So broke - can't afford the "T's" :D

8. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    so broke i can't afford to replace the broken key board.

9. If that often :D
    I have a great sounding sounding (and feeling) set from 1996 on my J bass.

10. 60$ for a set of Slinky's? That's downright outrageous. What does he sell those Barracuda basses for, 600$ ?

11. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    A 5-string set of Slinky's shoudn't run you over $40 (that's being conservative). My guess is that he's charging that much because he's the only place around. If he's not, he can't expect to sell much with prices like that.

I agree with ProfGumby: always buy one set in advance so you don't get stuck.

12. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    How does $400 sound for a squire affiniy jazz?
    I have been in there about 4 times, once for a set of strings (too much so i walked away and went o my regular store) twice for pics pre jam and this time. They have lost my business forever.

13. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    I just got a set of Labella Flats delivered to my house for less than $40. If the brick and mortar store won't price match...then order online.

Cheers,
    BT

14. know this.. if you play elixir and love them, nothing else will do. i tried... i cant play anything but them. they cost 40 a pack at musiciansfriend and every other online dealer i know.

if you live that far out, id recommend keeping a spare pack around

15. Actually you had someone nearby with something that did the job.

The price sucked (vaseline at least?) but you left with new strings.

16. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    i always have a backup set at any given time. whenever i need to use those, that's when i get a new backup set. that way you can still put it off so you don't get ripped off by the local guy, but not put it off so long that you're SOL again.

17. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    Good thing you weren't looking for Thomasik Infeild flatwounds. At the inflation rate you mentioned, they would have cost you around $180!

18. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
  19. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I never throw strings away when I am done with them. I always have a set of spares with me. And many times they are the old strings. I have only had to use them once in a gigging situation. And when you have a broken string, the fact that the replacement is old is of very little concern. So you can stop the bleeding with your used back up set and then take a few days to track down an affortable replacement.