Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Being a lefty

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oreomeister365, Dec 13, 2005.

1. stinks.

Limits your options, gotta get something custom built just because they never have the model you want left handed. :meh:

that being said, in order to get a lefty version of something..I take I should just send an e-mail to the company themselves...?

any advice?

2. i'm a lefty- and yes it can be frustrating. a lot of builders won't even make left handed instruments, even as a custom job. it's one of the reasons that i started building basses.

check out this site for a few options:
    www.southpaw.net

i've even purchased basses off of e-bay before, and was lucky enough to not have any bad experiences.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm a lefty, and I have no problem finding any bass I want. I can walk into ANY music store and find high end, mid priced, and econo basses in every maker with NO problems!

BTW, I play righty! :D :bassist:

4. So you're not a thoroughbred! :eyebrow:

Yep sure can be problematic, I only managed to find one in the whole country!! That's why I play a squier PB.
    They seem to be bringing in a whole lot more in the SX and Cort ranges, interestingly all in natural wood.
    Guess you have a whole lot more choice in the land of snow and laughter. ( Pity I wasn't playing when I visited 13 years ago.)
    My biggest problem is trying to transpose finger diagrams and tab...........but then again I'm not very bright :(
    Best bet is to go direct, or find out who your local agent is and make them do a bit of work for a change.

Good luck

5. I'm also a lefty who plays righty. That's just always how it's been most comfortable for me, never had any urge to play lefty guitars.

I still don't really understand why left handed people play "left handed" basses. Is it just because that's whay society tells them to play? "Oh you're left handed, you have to play a 'left handed' bass". Or is it really a matter of comfort from the very beginning? It's not like one hand is doing more work...

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    There's always Warwick. All their basses are available lefty with no upcharge.

7. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    Im a lefty playing lefty, and while it is harder to find a good left handed bass, (there out there... i just got a modulus Q6 :hyper: ) it has felt more comfortable to me from the get go... The first few basses I tried were right handed basses, but I always ended up flipping them upside down. Then one day I walked into my local music store and saw a left handed bass, played it, fell in love and bought it. It has nothing to do with what society tells me, its what I feel is better for me.

8. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    I alwyas thought I just blew at guitar / bass. then I found left handed instruments. Now I just blow at guitar. And proud of it. :D. I have a left handed jazz bass coming once I get the rest of the money together. It is harder with me to find high end basses in lefty. But it can be done.

9. It's to do with the dexterity of each hand, as opposed to the amount of work that it has to do.
    That said, we all know that Hendrix felt exactly the opposite and actually played lefty because he wanted his more dextrous hand on the fretboard.
    I never tried to play right handed, as no-one I knew would have been too happy for me to re-string their guitar for them...............strange that :rolleyes:

10. So if you're left handed, then naturally you'll have more dexterity in your left hand, right? Then why/how does that translate to playing a 'left-handed' instrument? It seems to me that if anything, the fretting hand would require more dexterity and that would be the left-hand fretting on standard 'right-handed' instruments.

The whole system seems backwards to me :eyebrow:

:p

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    When I first started, I looked at and tried lefty basses, but they didn't feel right (pun!) to me. It felt kinda odd, so being that I golf and bat right handed, a righty bass just felt natural.

12. I guess I'm kinda mixed up anyways :p

See, I'm considered 'left-handed' because I write with my left hand. I also bat and golf (though I don't really do either :eyebrow: ) with my left hand. And I eat with my left hand.

But then I catch and throw with my right hand (can't do either very well with my left :meh: ). My right hand is stronger. And I'm just generally right side dominant.

...writing left handed sucks by the way :scowl:

13. So do right handed people play right handed because society dictates it :smug:

14. Yes ;)

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Why don't righties play lefty basses? :rolleyes:

The first time I picked up a guitar, I picked it up lefty.
    Lefty felt natural to me - while righty was forced and didn't work for me.
    Not because society told me to :rolleyes: :p

Yeah, because righties inverted the way we write. It's all a big conspiracy, I tell you! Ancient writings started right-to-left (sumer, hebrew, arabian, chinese, etc) as only lefties were creative enough to figure things like this out (see also: all geniuses were lefty), but only the most traditionalist nations kept it this way, the righty majority had it changed to their comfort :spit:

16. Yeah, because righties inverted the way we write. It's all a big conspiracy, I tell you! Ancient writings started right-to-left (sumer, hebrew, arabian, chinese, etc) as only lefties were creative enough to figure things like this out (see also: all geniuses were lefty), but only the most traditionalist nations kept it this way, the righty majority had it changed to their comfort :spit:[/QUOTE]

Hear hear, it screams of descrimination I tell you.
    I need compensation :hyper:

17. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    try
    rondomusic.net
    thebasscompany.com ( I just ordered their new JT400 lefty)
    mtdbass.com
    dean.com

18. Ned Starks Head

Ned Starks Head Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    I do everything left handed except hockey and kicking a football. Played lefty "air bass" with a pool stick in bars years before I ever tried to play bass.(yeah, THAT guy) :rolleyes:
    I originally tried a righty (because that's all there was in the store at that time), and just could not do it. (think Steve Martin in the movie "The Jerk" and you'll get the picture). When I found a lefty in a pawn shop, it was much easier for me to pick up/learn things. Just felt WAY more natural.
    Sometimes I envy righty's large selection to choose from but the good thing is it also keeps me from being dirt poor....but with alot of basses. ;)

19. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I play lefty strung righty. The only problems I have had with right handed basses is the control knobs getting in the way and the strap getting in the way of the higher notes. I sprung for a left handed strung righty Alembic 5 string and it made life alot easier. I just picked up a Lecompte VB5 fretless( unlined),lefty strung righty as well.My first lefty bass was an Ibanez roadstar that I had the nut and bridge switched over for righty, I eventually replaced the pickups with EMG active P/j, and a badass bridge. I still love the way that bass plays and sounds.Good luck in finding a bass that you like.

20. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    What excatly are you looking for bass wise?