1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

being forced to do something.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Have any of you done something as a child because your parents made you? Not like clean your room or anything but like important things that you should have control over (i.e. having a view point forced on you, being forced into a certain religion, etc.) Are any of you parents that do/don't do this? Why do/don't you do it?

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    As a minor, your parents are responsible for your well-being. If you mess up, they can also be held accountable, both in a court of law and in a court of public opinion. With that in mind, and given that you are only 14, there are going to be times that parents require you to do something with which you disagree. Unless they beating you, or molesting you, they probably have your best interest at heart. Any parent that isn't molding and guiding a 14 year old simply isn't a parent.

Disagreeing with your parents is a part of being a teen. You'll be shocked to discover when you grow up that your parents aren't as stupid as you think they are. :) If you don't like their religion, they change once you become an adult. It is ok to disagree with them, but you need to understand that they are supporting you; it's their house and their rules.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    So, let's get down to bare bones. What is mommy making you do?

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    :D

bc

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA

Haha

You got served!

6. Let's hope it's baking cookies. I'd love me some cookies right now!!:D

But, his question is valid. Are they taking you to a church that you don't feel comfortable in? Are they saying nasty things about a group of people (racism, sexism, etc?) Or are they simply telling you to be in by curfew?

Rock on
    Eric

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Probably making him clean his room before he can watch Jimmy Neutron. :eek:

-Mike

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    [​IMG]

9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Aww, that would SUCK! I love Jimmy Neutron. Carl cracks me up.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Me too. :D

[​IMG]

-Mike

11. This was supposed to be a serious question. Its not "mommy" either. I disagree with my parents on alot of things. At some points I feel like I act more mature than them.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    How amateur of you. :)

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's a very common feeling as a teenager, man. It's pretty rare that it's actually true. You want to give us some examples?

bc

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Ah, 14, I remember it well. I was smarter than the world, especially my parents. Darn it, I was a MAN, and needed to be treated as such.

Sorry to rib you so hard, but if you only knew how typical and predictable feelings like that are in teenaged boys.......

Now, if you have a specific issue you would like to discuss, you might get constructive answers. The "I more mature than my parents" approach won't get you much sympathy.

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    My favorite bumper stick it

P-31.

16. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005

take it easy guys. i think he was serious about this. i think we can all remember being 14 and resenting our parents. mine were alcoholics and of the 4 kids, i got the genes. can you give us some specifics? we all disagree with our parents on a lot of things. i am taking care of my dad now and at 79 he still feels he can drive. i disagree. thunderbird, if you want to email or pm me feel free. i'm 36 by the way but i'll listen to ya!

17. yeah, i was thinking your mom got mad at you for stealing in school and sold your bass amp to GC...

but to answer your question, no. mom or dad never forced me to do anything i didn't want to do...i think at early ages when kids still like their parents, they want to be like them, so i think that it would be a natural thing for kids to "copy" their parents. of course then when you turn 14, your parents are the stupidest people on earth, then you are back to being ok with them at age 20-21
    just like the qoute that is attributed to mark twain

18. I think I may just give up.

My parents seem to be alot more judgemental than me. Also the just act like little kids some times. My mom, for example, still laughes when someone says "poopie"

Also I don't hate my parents. I don't even think they are stupid. I just disagree with them on alot of things and try to force things on me.

19. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Dude..I'm 41, and occasionally laugh my butt off at a good fart.

20. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    So, what do you disagree with them about and what things are they forcing on you?