Being hassled by the Guitarist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Have any of you encountered this before: I was at school yesterday and I was talking about bass with my friends when suddenly some kid I dont even know came up and starts to tell me "Bass sucks man, anyone can play the bass, Its just root notes and rhythm. Everyone knows guitar is harder and a better instrument." I would have put up an argument with the guy but there was really no point. Every single kid I talk to is just a single minded fool who thinks that bass is just a connecting bridge for the guitar and Drums. And the bassist I do talk to tell me they only play the bass because there band needed one but would give it up for guitar anyday. What the hell is wrong with people today. What has happened that pushed the bass guitar into the gutter in most peoples mind. Is it because about 90% of todays youth listen to mindless MTV drivel with no musical diversity at all, just blaring guitars and distortion. Please people give me a reasonable answer here.
  2. Listen up bro,

When you hit 40 like me you'll learn about this thing that 95% of them have. Its called "the lead guitarist giant ego syndrome" THEY ALL HAVE IT AND THRERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.

Let them live in their own little world my friend.

You and I know what instrument holds the band together.

The Lambo
  3. TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    Tell em' if you think it's that easy, come jam with me and show me how it's done! I play bass, seldom p/u my guitar! Bass is a diffrent world, with diffrent people! When I switched to the bass, it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be but I have more fun, play this ole' 4-stringer than I have any Guitar!
  4. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Guitarists are like women.....~ can't play with them, can't play without them....
  5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Naa what ya need to do is take him to a bela fleck concert! Let him meet victor and tell him this story about the bass! You can alway tel what guitar player hasnt had enough music tranining in there life! Stay away from a guitar player like that! Because the farthest he will go in life with his music is his garage!
  6. OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    I had the same thing happen. "Bass, man that's easy." I remember either thinking or saying, "Let's see what you can do then." But that was back when I first started and was a bit cocky. I still am, but I've heard Victor Wooten, Jaco, and the like play between now and then.
  7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I wouldn't let it get under your skin too much. I've had terrible drummers try to tell me that I need to play such and such way and they couldn't even hold down a beat. On the other hand I have played with a few musicians who really know what's going on and they dig what I would do AND would say I should be playing MORE (as in, hey that's cool we need more of this). So don't take it too personally.

Also you used the word "kid" when describing these I am guessing you are fairly young (mid teens?). Keep in mind that most people, and especially your age, are going to be morons who think they know everything when in fact know very little. Especially little punks just starting out in music. People who are good at music know how much they DON'T know yet, not "Oh I am so good I know everything" kinda deal. No matter how good you are you will always have a long way to go.

The bottom line is you seem to know what's up so why let other people bother you?
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My standard response to that: "Okay."

Or you could say: "Yeah I know, but not as easy as your moms."
  9. OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    Around here, "I know you are but what am I?" or the like would be the common response to that.
  10. Boy, how I hate this guitar player typical attitude - they're always trying to be the stars, thinking they're the most important part of the band, always egocentric and all. Like "mini-Malmsteens" they infest the music world. It's about time for us to stop this kind of attitude! So, bass players in the world, turn up your amp volume and show those scumbags we are important too!

Guitar players who are also good band mates are getting each day harder to find...
  11. wow that makes me wanan punch that kid. ive had people say isnt the bass easier cuz it has 4 strings and the guitar has 6. and ive over heard some guitar player say "hey start playing bass i need a bass player, its really easy its only 4 strings". yea, that got me a little mad too.
  12. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    ummm? how many 9 / 8 string guitars do you see?.. plus the fact that the 6 string bass is a supirior instrument... I wish I had one... :(

13. I remeber how upset a former guitarist got when he heard some of my demo/originals and realized I was a better guitarist than he was....but I am and always will be a "Bass" player first...That's because the "Bass" is truly the musicians instrument of choice...
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You're young and I'll let you in on a little secret. How you react to this stuff can affect the rest of your life.

Pretty deep, huh?:D

For the music this kid is probably into, bass probably "is" easy. Now what?

Most people don't realize that what this basically is is a lame attempt to illicit a response. You could get mad, you could try to enlighten him or you could do what I do... agree.

And then laugh at his dumb %%^ as he walks away.

Give it a shot... it's almost as easy as bass;)
  15. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i think to myself every time i hear an assinine comment like that; "ignorance is bliss..."
  16. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey the violen has only four strings! Tell him to rip some stuff on that! Or hey tell him to do some awsome work on the chelo! Or he could always do some killer stuff on a mandolin! Let him know more intruments have 4 than 6! 6 strings is cheating!
  17. Madnolins kick ass.
  18. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Yeah i love the mandolin! Last time we went into the recoding studio for a cd i wanted a too put a mandolin in a couple of tunes! I figured hell i will learn the part since it was jsut a small bass! heheheh but i then relized that it was tuned oposite than the bass. Ohh man so i took the few weeks of jamming on it to figure those parts out! I love the sound but i never want to try to learn it well or even good! It would mess my mind up! I never had that problem on another instrument before! I have played the flute for 12 years now. And i have played piano for as long as i have played bass! 20 years going strong!
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Snatch his ass in a bear trap!
  20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    **** man...bear traps are nasty, I uncovered one the other day in this old shack, it must have been 50 years still worked though, we tested it on a piece of wood...DAAAMNN I would never wish that on anyone, I know why they are illegal now.

On topic....When I first arrived at my school(boarding school...I'm a senior now, I've been here since I was a freshmen) even though I wasn't that great on bass, I didn't let guitarists or anyone tell me what I could do, I put it out in their face what I could do, and I let them know that I have the will and determination to be in the spotlight and that they better get their pussy rhythmn guitar asses back. ever since day one I've made myself out to be a "lead-bassist" though I would play in combos never stepping too far out of line, keeping the groove and being a good bassist boy, off scene I let the people know....that was no one ever gives me crap for wanting to be a solo bassist, I more often than not end up being the lead in jam sessions, and I feel good about it, cause I'm breaking the guitarists ego, there are great guitarists at my school, and some not so great ones, they all respect me as a player, and they never give me crap about the nature of bass.