Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Being in a band that... isn't your band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Jeez, this is an odd one, but I want to know if I'm alone of this, if you understand where I'm coming from.

I'm in a cover band ranging from hard rock to country and everything in between. Skinny and The Platelickers. Yeeeeee haw. I didn't think of the name.

But whenever I tell someone that I'm in this band, I always call it my uncle's band (the frontman... not skinny, he's the guitarist). I have never called Skinny and The Platelickers my band, I just play bass in it. It's my sellout job, plus I don't have anything else going right now. It's a bit of a drag. Skinny just isn't my style of music, plus half the band is twice as old as me. Skinny has about 7 years on me too. I'm just so seperate.

But have you ever been in a band, as an actually member and not felt like you belonged?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I have. In two bands. I played in both for a very long time too. I did somewhat more than just play the bass, though... I made websites, came with suggestions for improving our performances, made up some cool basslines, but I had no real creative input. It stopped being fun rather quickly, but I remained as a member. Why? Lack of alternatives. I also had no real idea what kind of music I REALLY wanted to play.

I think if it is even remotely fun playing with someone, it is worth staying with them unless you have something better going on. It doesn't have to be "your" band to be worthwhile. Though if you feel you MUST have some sort of creative outlet, try forming another band. After all, if you don't play for money, stimulating your own creativity should be the priority when playing in bands.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Most of us call that being a sideman ;)

As long as you are having some fun and making some money, sideman gigs are cool.

4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Nice topic! ;)

Funny enough I don't feel like being part of the core of the band, is when I am a guitarist. Only a side player, which fortunately came by. Doesn't matter if I play power chords or some subtile notes, it's just the feeling I have with it.

When I play the bass it's my band. Not really on-topic, but I always tend to become the bandleader in a very short time. Strange to you, but when I play the bass, it is so much more... stable, basic, groovy..etc.... can I use these words? Sure I can.

What I'm pointing out: It's not the band which makes it mine, but the instrument. :rolleyes:

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Sideman huh? I'll have to remeber that one. I just need to play my style of music... I don't know what that is. :p

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Chrome-Plated Hoser Wank Gothic Industrial?! :D

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I was thinking Explosion Core with New Wave Reggae Influence.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've been playing with this classic rock band for heck, about a year and a half now, and they fit into the same category you're talking about. Playing with them has ranged from fun to frustrating to embarassing -- but, no matter how much I gripe about the project, I'm getting to play -- which is *always* a good thing, IMO!

FWIW, I'm also in a country band, and I don't really listen to country, and I'm also in a blues band, and I don't really listen to blues, either... go figure, eh?! I get to play bass though, and that makes it all worthwhile!

Give yourself the freedom to divorce the self-identity "cool conscious" part of yourself from the part that just loves to play bass! Works for me!

:)