1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Being kind of a mentor but not a teacher

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by pklima, Dec 29, 2011.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I know a couple of 19-year-old women who are just starting out on DB. One's been learning since October, the other starts in two weeks. They have teachers, but both kind of look to me for occasional advice, encouragement, even a one-day bow loan for the first lesson. One of them also plays guitar in one of my bands, and I talked her into playing one song on DB at a recent gig (since all I do is saw away at two open strings) to the complete surprise of the rest of the band. We're already planning on doing that one with three basses in a few months, once the other girl gets her own bass.

Any thoughts or advice on this kind of role? I took up DB after finishing college myself, so at least I've managed to convince them that it's easy and they're not too old to start. Once they're confident enough I can try to hook them up with some gigs that don't require all that much skill...

2. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey man, as long as there aren't any ulterior motives, it sounds fresh. Don't second-guess their teachers until you've given them the benefit of the doubt for a little while, maybe.

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    "Dear Penthouse Letters, I never thought these stories were true until I met two 19-year old double bass players..."

:p

Bump for you!

4. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Heh.

I tune in fifths anyway so I'm staying away from giving them advice on the specifics of technique etc. But I think I'm pretty good at making the big bass, playing it in a band etc. seem less scary.