Being more agressive on stage...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by aabassist, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey i was wondering how many people here are agressive on stage, a lot of local bands where i live stand still when they play or move only slightly. I was wondering if any one could give me any tips on moving fairly agressively while still playing at an acceptable level, as the music my band plays demands more agressive behaviour...
  2. Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    First, get your bass part down cold for all the songs. This will make it a million times easier to not screw it up. If you plan on jumping you might want to practice alone or at practice. It may sound stupid but it will help you to figure out how to do it right and not look stupid at the show falling down or hitting yourself with the headstock. Just do what comes naturally to you and it will look good. Trying to force it just doesn't look the same. If your band has good stage prescence and the other bands in town just stand there, you will probably quickly be the more sought after band. And as always, get good strap locks.
  3. Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    All of the above are excellent suggestions.
    The main thing is once you've got your parts down to just move to the music in a way that feels natural. Find your style. Don't worry so much about doing the same things other players do, just do what works for you. Like Wownirvana said, people can tell when it's forced. It's not unlike dancing (probably because it more or less is dancing), one of the hardest things is to just start moving and not just stand there staring at your bass.
    Also it doesn't hurt to get somewhat into shape, and don't eat too much before playing (vomiting afterwards and/or being sore for a week start to wear on you - although vomiting on stage will make you cool with the kids).

There's also the chance that you will find that getting all crazy on stage just never really works for you. Again, do what works for you and don't force anything...
  4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.