1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Being Pushed Out - What to Do

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oldrocker, Mar 13, 2006.

1. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    +1 on all the "this band is going nowhere" sentiment.

Hey, you're a bass player. You're much more in-demand than guitarists! You'll have an audition with another band (or two or six) in less than a week.

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Bands with 'band leaders' never really work IMO.

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Holy crap. 2 COVERS in 6 months? You are definitely making the right decision. Even an amateur band could learn 2 covers in 1 WEEK.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Good decision. This was worse than I thought. I think that 99 percent of the public performances of Tush, and Mustang Sally that get done, were done with NO REHEARSAL AT ALL. Like others have said, bassists are in demand. Use the time to get your chops up a bit, and you'll have no problem finding a gig.

5. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Yes, those are standards and easy to learn and cover...my band does them and we brush over them. I needed to know 6 songs in 4 days to try out for the band im in now and I learned 2 songs this week by myself and one tonight for a gig on Friday. This is normal for cover bands to do. Old...we feel Ya man...im an old guy ...you dont have time to hang with these clowns they are holdin you back. Get in the woodshed and answer ads ...you will get a gig with better players and get further along at a faster rate. I learned about 20 songs in the first 2 weeks in my band im in now.Old keep looking forward and you will get to where you want to be...good luck!

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Steal the drummer and start your own band.
    I once auditioned for a very similar situation. The leader was the rythm guitar player and singer. He couldn't remember song structure and had no music theory knowledge whatsoever. That being said everything had to be done his way. Even if his way was never the same way twice! Waste of time.
    Like I said, steal the drummer and start your own band.
    I guarantee you if you put your own ad on craigslist stating "Rocking rythm section (bass and drummer) seek band memebers", you will have a long list of guitar players to coose from.