1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Being put under for Surgery

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nathan, Mar 17, 2009.

1. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    I've got to get my wisdom teethe removed in a couple of days. The surgeon is choosing to put me under for the surgery and I had to watch this video describing all the complications involved with it...."side effects include nausea, headaches, swaggering, brain damage, death".... it's got me freaked out.

Another friend told me about a relative that died for a short period of time during the surgery and now has brain damage!

Make me feel okay.

2. On the plus side, it will be one of the few times in your life you will be high as a kite and nobody can reprimand you for it.

3. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    There are risks with local anesthesia too. You're fine, you'll be okay, don't sweat it.

One thing I will say...I was given a choice of being "there" or being knocked out...I had all four taken at the same time, two of which had to be cut out. I chose to be awake, based on the advice I received from my regular dentist. When you're out, the doc doesn't have to pay much attention to your comfort...and you'd be surprised at just how wide your mouth can open. :D The stories of black eyes, cheek bruises, and sore jaws were enough to sway me. The downside? The creaking sound of those long roots working their way out will stay with you forever.

Good luck...a week from now you'll feel great and won't have to deal with any of the discomfort of those teeth trying to work their way up & through.

4. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    The risks are minimal. Think about the fact that millions of people are put under general anesthesia every year and only a miniscule fraction of them experience any serious problems. The reality is, you are probably more likely to be killed in an automobile accident on the way to the dentist office than you are to die in the dentist's chair from complications from anesthesia.

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    They have to make you aware of the risks as a disclaimer. They are very rare. Still there is always a risk going under. I rather enjoyed the experience. The pain after the morphine ran out was not so fun.

6. crayzee

crayzee

Feb 12, 2009
    Mississauga, ON
    Nitro is hella fun! You'll be fine but you'll be very sore afterwards (your mouth, that is). Enjoy the painkillers! :D

7. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    dn't wurrie man, i gots 4 teef aut and hardely hav anie brains damages!

8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    what!?? the last time I had wisdom teeth removed those buggers wouldn't put me under!!
    They just gave me a local...I feel cheated.
    I need to go back again in a month or two for two more wisdom teeth, those biotches best be puttin me under!

9. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I had four wisdom teeth removed many years ago when I was a teenager. Any worries you may have will simply float away once the sedatives and anesthesia kick in.

After my procedure, I went home and played along with Iron Maiden records for hours until the drugs wore off.

10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    One second you're counting backwards from ten, the next you're waking up.

If you were elderly and very frail, it would be more of a concern. Otherwise, you should be fine.

11. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    Last time they put me under for surgery the last thing I rembered before going to sleep was me going 'wheeeeeee' at the doctor :D

12. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I've been put out for eye surgery once. I felt a little dissoriented and groggy at first, but was back to normal later that evening. A good sleep is usually required. You'll be fine man :)

13. steve21

steve21 Banned

Dude, people do that stuff at lower doses for fun. You're gonna be straight.

14. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    When I had my tonsils out as a kid they used an ether mask. I can still remember the odd stench, the sensation of suffocating, and the phosphor-green humming vortex that sucked me down. Not an enjoyable psychedelic experience, but I expect practices have evolved since then and you'll be just fine.

15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    that's creepy..
    I had some major surgery last year where I had to be put under. I remember a nurse telling me, "OK, we're going to give you something that's going to make you feel tipsy, like you had a glass of beer or wine, start counting backwards, 10, 9, 8.............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
    All I can say is that the anticipation of being put under is the worse part. It's actually quite enjoyable )

16. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Don't sweat it.

I could probably list all those potential complications about driving your car around too.

17. dude, it'll be fine. I had to have 12 of my baby teeth pulled (at different times) under general and i was a little kid. Then my wisdoms later on in life. as a matter of fact i only lost 3 teeth the normal way (one i bashed out when it was about a week old. funny story). It just a little nitrous and a pin prick, and your done. Literally. Then go home, pop three of your brandy new scrip pain meds and smoke some ganj. Your fear of death will be gone in no time. Between 4 times of dental knockouts and 2 for ear surgeries as an even younger kid, I'm here to tell you its pretty easy. So man up! I was like 4 the first time :)

18. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    When I got my jaw drilled for an implant they gave me this little pill (don't remember what it was called), but it put in a state of what they call awake sedation. I don't remember anything from that day, but I was told I was talking and carrying on a conversation the whole time. I just remember waking up from a nap after that and feeling like crap.

19. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    My hands went numb reading this.:atoz:
    I have dentist phobia.I'd rather die under sleep intead of local anesthesia.:p

They be puttin' ye under rarr.
    [​IMG]

20. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Hey, I'll try anything once. If I get a good healthy buzz off of a mallet, then so be it :)