Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Being tight with the drummer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, May 26, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ive heard so many people say "Man, Mr Smith the bass player for x band is so tight with the drummer". I know they roughly mean that "being tight" means the bass player and drummer are close, and often sound as one, but how do i do this? I know roughly what it means, but i dont know how to do it? I know it measn listening to the snare and bass drum alot, but what do i play and when?

Little Help? :confused:

-Kirbo

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Of all the drummers I've played with.

I have only ever been "tight" with 2 of them.

One is my brother; even the first time we ever jammed we were always locked in sync, changed at the same time, and kept things moving for <3 hours!

the other is my good friend Will; he is dedicated, he listens, and he acts. He is humble as hell, and never trys to steal the spotlight(though in my opinion he could easily give most drummers something to think about) he has only been playing a year now, so that's one of hte reasons he is sheepish(ironic that his last name is shepherd) but his timidness is only when it comes to stepping on other peoples feet, and he knows how to NOT do that.

The most important thing I think is, that you listen, but also that they listen, drummers with attitudes are bad news, you just gotta have a drummer who is open and willing to have fun.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It usually just happens..... it's not something you can go home and practice. It's really just a matter of you listening to him. Just as importantly, he should be listening to you - this is a rare quality in a drummer unfortunately. I've been spoiled in this regard in the past, so you can really feel it when a drummer is playing on his own little island. It's like you're playing against him rather than with him.....