Bela Fleck and The Flecktones

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Pea-NUT, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    I just recorded Bela Fleck and The Flecktones live at Quick Center or something in Fairfield CT. Anyone else see this. Victor was outstanding. First time i really saw them. If you get a chance to watch them its well worth it.
  2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Flecktones were definitely the best concert I attended in 2001. Sitting front row in front of Victor and speaking to him after the concert helped a little, too, I suppose.
  3. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    For those of you who have DirecTV, it is on Channel 103 as a "Free View" feature. I just watched & recorded it.

4. wow! I got direct tv. I got to check it out. I recorded them doing a live performance on the trio channel a couple weeks ago, it was unbeliveable!
  5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    What the hell i dont have a 103! I gotta find it!
  6. what the heck, one of the guitarists I play with just asked me today if I saw the Bela Fleck thing on TV. I can't find it on Direc Tv :confused: maybe it's playin at some goofy times.
    Enjoy a performance by Grammy® winning banjo virtuoso Bela Fleck and his eclectic band, the Flecktones, recorded live at the Quick Center for the Arts in Fairfield. Tune in every Friday, Saturday and Sunday in January 2002 plus New Year's Day—Jan 1st, on Channel 103.

Visit for more information.

above is from, no wonder I couldn't find it. it's only on during the weekends, now I got to tape it this weekend
  8. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    WOW! I just finished watching the same concert pea-NUT mentioned. Victor is amazing.
  9. Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    I always enjoy watching those. This one was amazing. Bela has some of the best musicians backing him.
  10. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I saw Victor and JD do their duet thing back in '99 in Boulder, CO. It was right after Ozomatli opened for him. It was crazy, Ozomatli was like a big party and Victor was like going to the most incredible master class ever. What a night...

Somewhere in the world lies my 2 cassette copies of Vic's performance that night. With all my moving around, though, it's no where to be found. :( :mad:
  11. well, I taped the DirecTV performance and have been watching like crazy.
    Man, those guys are nuts, how do they play that stuff.
    that dude playin the little drums (not Future Man) freaks me out:eek: and that Asian dude in the wacky garb singing 3 notes at once, that dude is freaky :eek:
    overall an awesome display:D
  12. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    ive got d tv, when is it on? it does run all month the freeview concert right?
  13. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    You'll have to look out for it, its usually in rotation with a willie nelson concert or something. I caught the end of it around 4 o'clock pm and I saw the beggining when it showed again at about 9 o'clock. Then again, this is Canadian time so I dont know how it would work out for you.
  14. I just got done tapeing that concert. Do they write that music down or just make it up as they go along, cause thats alot to remember, the songs are preety long, im going to show my friends at school this tape. The solo was awsome,
  15. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    grrrr, wouldnt ya know it, i just turn on the tv and the concerts almost over....
  16. some of it is melodys that they will play between improv stuff. so, I guess you could say, some of its wrote down and some made up, all in the same song. but, I don't know if they actually write it down. they probably just remember it.
  17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I just bought the DVD. AWESOME!!!

Too bad, the 'tones hardly ever tour Europe :(
  18. [​IMG]

I'm going to see them tomorrow night.

I hope Victor doesn't find out I'm in the audience - I don't want to make him nervous or anything. Sometimes people get stage fright when someone with mad skillz is in the audience.

Never happened to me, though.

19. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    That's the same reason I bought the DVD. :D No reason making someone else screw up in front of their fans.
  20. lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I just got back from watching the Flecktones in concert in Des Moines. Watching Victor massage music from his basses is fabulous. He is a very good soloist. Yet, he also is a great ensamble player.

Go see him live! It's 10X better than watching him on tape.