Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bela Fleck on Conan O'Brien

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DonnaMaindrault, Oct 17, 2003.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh what up...im there

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    What head was Victor using? I couldn't get a decent look at it. Maybe if I'd put the contacts in...:rolleyes:

3. Basho

Basho Guest

I was wondering that myself. It certainly wasn't his normal rack.

4. I would guess that his normal rack was sitting at the Beacon Theater. They started the show a bit late because they had just arrived from the taping, and the equipment was sitting on stage waiting for them (except for the instruments they were playing on Conan).

5. That was a good performance...even though it's the only one I've seen by them. Their "drummer" impressed me. He has got to have been a former prop builder in Hollywood. No one could design something like that and have it LOOK that way.

6. I can't beleave i missed it, it was on friday night? drat. I missed it when Oysterhead played on Conan's and now i missed Bela Fleck. Well i can always hunt down the video or wait for a rerun. So it was a good performance?

7. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    They'll replay it at 5 p.m. on Comedy Central Monday if I'm not mistaken. So if anyone missed set up you videotapes. It was an awesome performance.

Dirk

Edit: the 5 p.m. would be central time.. so I guess that means 6 p.m. on the eastern coast.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

I think Comedy Central has simalcasts for most of their shows, I.E it will play at 6 on the East and West coast.

I could be wrong though.

(I missed it too, I didn't even know about it till today)

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    it's online at the Dave Matthews Band forum...

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    do you have a link? i did a search and found like 30 dave matthews forums :D thanks, man

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    sorry, I couldn't remember where I saw it, but I found it after all:
    bela clip

12. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    looks like an old SYNTHAXE driving some percussion modules.

my op.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

f

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    thanks for the link, man!

14. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Here's the info on that from the Flecktones website...

This technology has been brought back from the future allowing the Flecktones to take advantage of cutting edge technology. Futureman has used current devices to create a working drum set. His main instrument was a SynthAxe once owned by Lee Rittenour. Just about all the original electronics have been stripped from the instrument and piezo triggers have been added to the body and neck of the Synthaxe to create what we now know at the Synthaxe Drumitar. There is only one!

The trigger impulses are carried from the instrument through a multipair cable, to his rack. The trigger information is converted to MIDI information in the Alesis D-4 and Alesis D-5. The MIDI information is then routed to a Roland TD-7 as well as two Roland S-760's. The D-4, D-5, and TD-7 contain preset sampled sounds. The S-760's are hooked up to a Ramteck D545. This is a hard drive unit that allows Futch to load an infinite number of sampled sounds.

Each trigger on the Synthaxe Drumitar can be assigned to a different sample via MIDI channels. These samples can range from a snare sound to a kick sound to any percussive sound. Also the samples can be whistles, voices, train horns, buzzers, anything Futch can visualize. Some of the sounds reproduced are a blend of sounds from the different samplers. For example, the one snare sound is a blend of snares from several of the factory sounds as well as imported samples.

All the outputs from the samplers are routed to a MidiMan mixer and ported out to a left and right output. This is the signal that is sent to the PA system and what you, the audience, hears. Because the triggers are velocity sensitive, the harder Futch hits, the louder the particular sound. This allows Futch to mix the sound of the entire kit himself.

15. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i thought that shape looked familiar.

i remember seeing the Synthaxe product launch in the 80's.

per the first pic, with Holdsworth demo'ing it.

man, those were the days.

f

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Synthaxe drumitar, neat thing.

Also, roy has another cool instrument he calls the "roy-el"

it uses the resonance frequencies from the periodic table of elements brought down to an audible range, very neat stuff. looks kind of like a piano.

17. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow, that sounds tres odd, there, man...what's it sound like? a synth? toy piano? :D

18. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I just watched the re-run of Friday's show on Comedy Central....

Those guys are awesome! ...and Victor is sick! He did some cool tapping....great tone, crunchy modern sound.

I'm going to have to pick up their latest cd...

I saw them live a couple of years ago, and Futureman's drums sounds were incredible. That is the coolest drum "kit" going...dude can play too.

19. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i just saw the flecktones last sunday (oct 12) and was sitting right overhead of futureman. i got the bird's eye view of the new RoyEl. It was one crazy looking thing. it had a bunch of colored discs arranged in the VAGUE shape of a piano keyboard. but it sounded really cool, kind of near the sound of an electric piano. i wish i could get an up close look at the thing because i can't imagine how you could play it.

there was a program given out by the venue (the kimmel center in philly) and it had little interviews and bios of the performers. i remeber futureman said something along the lines of drums looking more and more like pianos and vice a versa. i wish i could i find that thing...i lose stuff pretty easily.

let me just say, that concert was hands down the best show i've ever seen. so much great talent...i can't even think about it without needing a change of pants.

rock on
    -jimbo:ninja: