Bela Fleck

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ruud Das, Nov 15, 2002.

1. YES!
    So I just bought tickets for the show of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones for tomorrow-night at jazz club New Morning here in Paris. I'm finally goingg to see Victor Wooten live!!!!
    I was wondering if anybody else is going? Or has ever been to a Bela Fleck concert before?
    Also, how is New Morning. I'm just here in Paris for my study, but I couldn't go back to Holland without visiting some jazz clubs!

I'll let you know how it was of course!!!

Greetz, Ruud
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Personally, I think you'll dig it if you focus on Wooten. He does so many things with his plucking hand that no one but a musician could pick up on.

But as far as the Flecktones go.........yawwwn

They're just musical nonsense to me........mindless crap that goes nowhere under the guise of legitimate "jazz" with that fool in an admiral's hat.......and I think all banjos should be burned (horrid sounding instruments played by illiterates and retired hippies, IMO).

But Wooten should be worth the ticket price alone. I think he will really please you with his artistry.

Just my opinion.
  3. bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    My hair caught fire after reading that response. :eek:

Trust me, it will be a religious experience. Bela is amazing, Futureman is amazing, and Vic is THE man.

I'm envious.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I saw them in Leverkusen, and it was great!

Not just Victor, the whole band (I got to talk to all of them, Jeff and Futch were exceptionally nice) smoked, and the songs were great too!
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    BFF are brilliant. They were even better when Howard Levy was on board.

Rickbass, for a guy who sees sound, you sure don't seem to be listening much.

Then again, it is your opinion...
  6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I have seen them 6 times and each time they are awesome. I am totally convinced it is the best show you will ever see, if you are strictly going for the music.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    He left?! When did this happen? This is very sad. :( (If this happened a long time ago, feel free to laugh at me.)
  8. I've missed my chances to see the Flecktones twice and Vic twice more. I'd like to see Vic more than the rest- I love banjos, so it's not that; the music's not really my style.
  9. Yes indeed! They are playing in Whelans in Dublin on's gonna be the best gig E V E R ! !
  10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

He left roughly ten years ago. After their UFO TOFU release. Kinda sucks because I do not think Jeff Coffin is nearly as "unique." The band is still incredible however...especially live...recordings just do not prepare you for live.
  11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

This really has to be one of the most inane things I have ever read, no offense to you personally. I have never seen a more talented group of musicians, and I have heard tons and tons of music. To say that the banjo is played by illiterates and retired hippies is ridiculous. Bela Fleck also often plays his electric banjo and sometimes a guitar. He would also play circles around you in any situation so I would be careful with what you say. If you don't like them fine, but to cast completely retarded aspersions around is another thing. Also they never claim to be fact when they won the best jazz recording grammy, Bela at a show I was at said they was surprised to win that because they didn't know they were a jazz band. At the end of their flight of the cosmic hippo video, there is a montage of fans trying to name what type of music they play because it is truly unique and beyond categorization.

If you honestly believe its musical nonsense and mindless crap...I can guess you would have nothing more than a tin ear, because that makes absolutely zero sense.

If you don't like them just keep it at that.
  12. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I saw the flecktones a month and a half show I've ever seen, and I've seen a victor solo show.
    they are not a jazz band lets get that out of the way.
    in no way are they a jazz band, who ever says that does has never heard the flecktones.
    if i HAD to describe them, I would say
    Fringe-progressive Blue grass experimentation.
    there is barely any jazz in their music...I don't ever know where you[rick bass] got that from.

they will blow you away.

you will see things not meant to be done on any instrument :)
    watch out for Jeff coffins "big" mouth ;)

futureman is arguably one of the best percussionists out there....he's no airto (always forget his last name) but he is amazing, his sense of rhytmn is un real, and his speed and clarity are beyond comprehension, he did his solo set half on his drumitar/cymbals and toms and half on one of those blocks of wood with a hole in the was unreal.

your very fortunate ruud das
  14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    I also love Bela Fleck and Flecktones as much as the next guy in here but I would love to hear them with a standard drummer

I dont like futureman :(

Bela and the rest of the band rule though
  15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Laugh at you? All TBers should form a line and take turns to slap you.:p
  16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
  17. w00t! Whelans on Monday!!! I'll be there :D
  18. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    ha. Again I say ha.

brad cook
  19. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've been a big Flecktones fan for 10 years but I cannot agree with the statement that "futureman is arguably one of the best percussionists out there." Maybe to you but to my ears that is ridiculous. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of guys out there that could roll him up and smoke him. I'll agree that maybe he's the best drumitar player out there but that's all you'll get outta me and that's only because I've never heard another drumitar player. Flecktones rule!

I agree with Dave in saying that I would also like to hear the Tones with a trap drummer.

brad cook
  20. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    :D Actually, I was confused. I got him and Coffin mixed up. I was thinking to myself: "Man, I have the DVD that wasn't released too long ago, and he's IN it!"

'Cause I was thinking of the wrong guy.

'Cause Coffin still IS in the band.

'Cause I am easily confused. :(

Feel free to have more fun at my expense, though. :D