1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Belated NBD: J Worrell Bass fanned fret 6 string custom (open to local demo!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christw, Jul 25, 2012.

1. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Disclaimer: I wanted to be an endorser of John's pickups and instruments because of his top notch customer service, willingness to work with me on some crazy ideas, and absolutely killer products. All views expressed throughout this thread and others are my honest opinions. :smug:

This bass is available for local demos in the Dayton, Ohio area. PM me and I'll work with you to arrange a test drive!

Let's skip to the details. This bass is 6 string with fanned frets ranging a 35 inch scale B string to a 32 inch scale C string. Frets are perpendicular to the strings on the 7th position. It's controls are volume (pull passive), mids (200 hz/pull 1khz), and a bass and treble stack via a Nordstrand pre along with three on/off switches for the pickups. All three pickups are neodymium pickups also built by John. The body is radiused and super comfortable. The asymmetrical neck is the cherry on top of this sundae. You really need to try it to understand. Every note feels effortless.

I don't have any samples right now but let me tell you that this is the most versatile instrument I've ever played. It covers the range of a 'Ray, a P, a J, and then some. I can coax Rickenbacker and vintage hollow body tones from this bass with pickup and EQ tweaks too. I've had it for a little while now and it still blows me away. No matter the mix, this bass can find a spot and sound right at home. It feels like my only limitations are my abilities. I'll get a full review and clips up here as soon as I can. I've got a busy week ahead with a new job, rehearsals, repairs, and gigs so it won't be immediate but it'll be soon. :D

Here are a few pics of the bass and yes, that is an El Camino. :ninja: The pictures are from a cell phone and a bit washed out. They really don't do the wood grain justice.

IMG379.
    IMG381.
    IMG382.
    IMG383.
    IMG387.

The fan doesn't look so abnormal from a playing angle, does it? ;)

IMG385.

2. I dig it![​IMG]

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    Bump!

I'd actually like to get some other TBers hands on opinions about this bass so, seriously, if you're in the area come try it! :D

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I would love to play that bad boy, but I don't think I will be anywhere in that region.... ever.

I guess I'll wait for the samples...

5. Congratulations! Very nice!

Thank you for posting the bottom photo with the caption. I've never handled a fanned fret bass and the photo helps me understand the ergonomic benefits that may result from fanning.

6. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I haven't been anywhere in your region other. I've kept all my time in Canada limited to Ontario thus far. :bag:

Thanks! I actually find this easier to play in the lower register than any of my other basses, even my long time number one a Highway 1 P. The fan feels much more natural to my left hand, believe it or not.

7. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    Bump for this tone monster. The strings are pretty darn dead by now and the action is low (thanks Justin!) It's also unbelievably deep when I plug into the 300 Pro making this a killer choice for country, reggae, dub, or blues. :D