1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

(belated) NBD Pre-Gibson Tobias Classic 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leurw, Jun 15, 2016.

1. So I've actually had this for a few weeks but I've been so in aw of actually owning it, that I haven't had the nerve to make a NBD thread. This was a HUGE splurge for me and way more than I ever thought I would spend on a bass. As such, I'm still wrestling with myself if it was a good idea...

It's a 1987 Tobias Classic 5 (birth year for me!). Koa body wings, wenge tone plate. Neck is wenge/maple/purpleheart/wenge/purpleheart/maple/wenge. Serial 568.

She plays great. Some of the best fret work I've ever seen. Plenty of nicks and bumps but I sort of like 'em that way. A mint condition 30 year old bass is usually mint because no one wanted to play it...you could tell the previous owners couldn't keep this girl out of the rotation.

I think my only gripe is that I can't get the action high enough (I know, right!?) for my liking. The saddles are up as high as can be but because of my aggressive attack it's a little too "easy" for me lol. I've seen a few other pre-gibs that have this issue and were rectified with a brass spacer under the bridge. We'll see.

Anyway. Off to the pics!

DSC_0149_zpsu3utuqxw.

DSC_0150_zps1sw8kr67.

DSC_0151_zpsykknckkq.

DSC_0152_zpsb7jvgv5t.

DSC_0154_zpsngreljss.

DSC_0155_zps3d4ecxgm.

DSC_0157_zpsw9xug7lv.

DSC_0161_zpsukax75yq.

DSC_0162_zpsqdjqea1z.

DSC_0163_zpsisbxanjd.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  2. That surely is a fine looking instrument.

Congrats!

leurw likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Congrats, it looks wonderful for a nearly thirty year old bass!

leurw and SirMjac28 like this.
  4. That is one stunning bass, congrats. One prettiest basses I've seen in a long time. Mike is the man.

Buszkock, leurw and Dr. Cheese like this.
  5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That's gorgeous I can tell that one wasn't cheap:)

leurw and Dr. Cheese like this.
  6. Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm still debating if I want to try and polish out some of the scratches or just let the ol' girl be haha.

7. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    That is absolutely stunning, definitely the best looking Tobias I've ever seen. I used to lust after his basses back in the late 80s early 90s, but that one takes the cake. Congrats!

DocShocker and leurw like this.
  8. It's a beauty

leurw likes this.
  9. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Gorgeous bass. Action looks pretty high to me already, but then I shoot for Entwistle's "on the other side of the frets" action on my basses. They actually play themselves. I've had more than a few guys try to sit in on my basses, and ask "how the hell do you play that? ". I normally answer snarkily, with "rather well, thank you".

japhy4529 likes this.
  10. I will agree that I like it higher than most. 95% of my playing is live country rock so I've (regrettably) developed a very heavy attack. It's VERY noticeable in the studio - I have to be extremely conscious of my fingers.

Haha I'm going to have to remember that one! I like it!

BassikLee likes this.
  11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Dang. That is all. Well, that and "enjoy!"

12. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    I tend to have my action at about 1.25mm at the 24th fret of the G string. Gradually getting higher, to about 2mm on the B

13. That is the coolest Tobias Ive ever seen.

leurw likes this.
  14. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Oh, and the pickups almost touching the strings.

15. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    That is beautiful!!.Congrats!!.....and thank you for sharing

leurw likes this.
  16. That is stunning. Just wow.

leurw likes this.
  17. Very nice bass! In regards to the action, have you tried DR Lo Riders, or some other string that has fairly high tension?

leurw likes this.
  18. Haha. That's what I have on there now. DR Lo-Riders 45-130. They're pretty much the only strings I can play now. Except on my 4 strings I use hi-beams sometimes...just for fun :)

Matthew_84 likes this.
  19. Really cool Tobias, and from the era when they were among the basses you were afraid to touch in the store for fear of having to buy something you could not afford, if it wasn't already behind glass...

BBQisgood and leurw like this.
  20. Well done!! Beautiful instrument.