1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

(belated) NBD Pre-Gibson Tobias Classic 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leurw, Jun 15, 2016.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Whoa!!!

leurw likes this.
  2. Thanks man. She's a beauty and sounds wonderful. That's a good analogy - feels like running on ice. I think that this may be a good things because it's forcing me to reevaluate how I play. I know I have a heavy attack so this is a good reason to fix it a play more "proper" haha.

Glad you noticed ;-) I agree that the "inserted" laminate is a really nice detail. Mike seems to have done darkwood "toneplates" (mostly wenge) on most of the pre-gibby classics and signatures.

Yup, these are exactly what I was looking at picking up. Thanks for the link.

Cheers!
    -Robb

3. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    A thing of beauty indeed!:)

4. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Another way to look at it is to let the bass do the work for you. That's what it was designed to do.

Setting the action and neck relief to your prefs is one thing. Messing with shim plates under the bridge etc would be like putting a lift kit on a Mercedes 300 SL gull wing. You could do it; but......

Anyhow, major congrats and enjoy!!

5. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    Right!!! Any great bass - like your Tobias - is designed to let the individual player be the best he or she can be. You shouldn't have to change your playing style to suit the bass because the bass is designed to be adjustable so that it will suit your style.

6. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Wow! Gorgeous! Any idea what the tone properties of Koa are?

EG

7. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    I've owned one koa bodied instrument - my Alembic Series I LSB, back in the day. Based on my recollection of that instrument's acoustic character, I would say koa is about midway between walnut and alder.

evilgus likes this.
  8. pfair

pfair

Nov 15, 2003
    I've got #569. Yours is great looking.

leurw likes this.
  9. No way! They're like brothers! So cool.

10. mikkoantt

mikkoantt

Jul 5, 2012
    Finland
    Screenshot_20190415-220806.
    Hi from Finland
    Just bought this. Serial # 831. Anybody knows what year this is? And anybody know the value of this, for insurance. Its all original and everything works as it should. Big , fat and articulate sound.
    Cheers
    - Mikko

evilgus likes this.
  11. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Is it a Signature or Classic? How many sections in the neck? Does it have a fancy top and back?

EG

12. mikkoantt

mikkoantt

Jul 5, 2012
    Finland
    Its a Signature and neck have 7 laminations and there is bubinga- wenge- bubinga body.

13. That is quite simply stunning and your excellent photographs really show off how good this bass looks. The lighting has really captured the detail in the wood and the quality of the finish. It looks extremely attractive with that wenge centre section and I bet the sound is stunning too. Michael Tobias is truly a wizard.