Belated NBD (Roscoe content) plus new family/collection pic!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Oct 28, 2011.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Actually, this arrived last week, but my daughter was sick at the time, so I didn’t take good pics or get to spend much time with it until the gigs last weekend. It’s a Roscoe LG-3000, with a Demeter 18v preamp:

IMG_2389.jpg

I had played an LG-3000 several years ago at a TB GTG and had really enjoyed it – in fact, I’d talked briefly with the owner about buying it, but fell out of touch and my GAS moved on to other basses. Normally I play a single-coil Jazz (a Sadowsky Will Lee), and that tends to be “my tone.” I’ve been thrilled with the WL, and it has been virtually the only bass I’ve gigged since it arrived a year and a half ago, which is highly unusual for a long-timebass whore like me. But I would sometimes get to thinking about that Roscoe, and I was building up money in my gear fund, so a couple weeks ago I finally pulled the trigger.

IMG_2388.jpg

Last weekend I finally got to gig it. It was pretty cool since I had had very little time to spend with the bass before Friday night’s gig, having only time to give it a quick set up and my favorite strings beforehand. I had no real idea how it would sound in the mix. It was a totally different sound from the Will Lee, but I loved it – it made some songs sound new. I ended up playing it the entire gig. I played it on several sets on Saturday as well, and while I thought the WL sounded better on some songs, I liked the Roscoe better in other spots. My drummer declared: “Two totally different flavors of kickass.”

Since I finally got out the camera to take some pics of the Roscoe, I went ahead and got out the whole collection, since it’s been a while since I took a family picture:

IMG_2387.jpg

Can't get the color right on my camera, but here's another setting:

IMG_2384.jpg

Many years of TB-induced GAS, a single-minded dedication to gear above all else (clothes, car, etc.), a wonderfully enabling wife and hundreds of paid gigs have allowed me to amass a very nice collection.

Left to right:

1) Modded Squier VM ‘70s Jazz – I had wanted to learn to work on a bass without messing with my Sadowsky or Reverends. So my wife bought it for an Xmas present, and I modded the heck out of it, with mostly high end parts (Lindy Fralin pups, ABM bridge, Hipshot tuners) that I had from another project or scored on ebay. I basically changed out everything on the bass except the neck and body and pickguard, Even the PG screws got swapped for black. I mainly keep this bass as a backup or on the occasional sketchy gig – it plays pretty well though it is a boat anchor, and sounds good due to the Fralins.

2) Roscoe LG-3000 – It was listed as having a tiger maple top, but it looks a lot like myrtle to me. Really loving it. Great modern tone, wonderful feel.

3) Reverend Rumblefish PJ (Lava Swirl) – My dream Reverend – PJ pickups, maple board, Lava Swirl finish. Only two were ever made in that spec, and against all odds one of them popped up on CL not 20 minutes from my house. Apparently I was meant to have this one. It’s my #1 fish. Fantastic player, incredible tone, looks great under stage lights.

4) Steinberger XL-2 – Not my first bass, but my second. I bought it new in 1988, and it was my main bass until I discovered TB in 2004. Unbelievable tone, but I’ve grown to dislike the narrow bridge spacing and relatively thick (front-to-back) neck. It still gets gigged once in a while and I always am stunned by the tone. The band loves the way it sounds too – they want me to play it more often.

5) Reverend Rumblefish 5L – There’s something about the tone of the earliest Reverends, which had the Kent Armstrong pickups. This is one of the first 5Ls made, and I bought it to replace the one bass I’ve ever sold and regretted selling – another early 5L I nicknamed “Thumpy.” This one happened to be in red, so I did it up in UGA colors – getting a B/w/B pickguard made for it like an old red/black Reverend XL I had once owned that I’d nicknamed the “Dawgfish.” It had been sacrificed to buy the Lava PJ. I call this one the “Big Dawg.” It’s the only fiver I own.

6) Sadowsky NYC Will Lee – aka “#1.” In 2009 I sold several basses I never really gigged, with an eye toward ordering my ultimate dream bass. Having been to many GTGs and made countless pilgrimages to bass stores, I finally placed an order for this, which was finished in early 2010. Since it arrived I have played little else, though recently the Roscoe has made quite an impression and will no doubt get gigged quite a bit as well. This is (for me and my tastes) the all-around finest bass guitar I have ever played. There is no other bass I’d rather own or gig. Weight is 7.8 lbs, which makes it great for the 4-hour gigs I usually play. Awesome single coil tone plus that fantastic preamp. The top is burl maple, which looks great both from a distance (where it looks more like a regular burst) and close up.

7) Reverend Rumblefish JJ (converts to PJ) – this ‘fish is unusual in that it came with two pickguards and two sets of pickups and can exist as either a PJ or JJ. Until I got the Lava Swirl PJ, I had it set up as a PJ and it was my #1 fish.

8) Sadowsky NYC PJ – Like the JJ above, this bass came with two pickguards, and both P and J pickups. I keep it as my “ultimate P bass.” In passive mode, with the P pickup soloed, it sounds like a regular P bass. It’s alder, with a Brazilian rosewood board. But then I also have the option of adding in the J pickup and using the Sadowsky preamp. Doesn’t get gigged as much as it should since the WL arrived.

9) Rob Allen MB-2 fretless – Everyone should try a Rob Allen at least once. Fantastic change of pace.

At this point, other than something “different” like a Kinal Kompact or Kala Ubass, I’m pretty well set as far as what I like.

I think I’ll be gigging the Roscoe and WL this weekend again. Too much fun!

2. Awesome collection, Bart! That Roscoe is super cool. Glad it's working out well so far. And, it's always good to see Reverends hanging out in such high-end company. :cool:

3. Looks awesome! I've got Roscoe GAS and you're not helping! I've heard some Roscoe sound clips that have blown me away. Congrats!

Interestingly, my number #1 is also a Sadowsky. The Roscoe I played (the day I bought the Sad) came in a close second.

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I'm clapping right now, seriously. Beautiful collection.

5. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Beautiful Roscoe and awesome collection Bart! Excellent top!

I agree with everything except the Roscoe coming in at a close 2nd!:D

Of course it's just my opinion but the Roscoe's that I've owned have never finished a close 2nd to any bass! ;)

6. I know, I know, I should have bought both! :D

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Thanks, guys!

I took out the WL and the Roscoe last night to gig and gave them each two sets.

I slightly prefer the tone and feel of the WL for most songs, but it's a very slight preference and the Roscoe definitely works better for some songs. The WL has a slightly narrower nut and slightly wider spacing at the bridge, both of which I've come to like. But it's a very slight difference, and the Roscoe feels great.

The tone of the Roscoe is more focused and cuts through the mix like a laser. Every note clear as a bell. The Sadowsky is much more growly and aggressive and cuts through the mix like a chainsaw. Great for hard rock.

I didn't think I'd like the Roscoe this much, to be honest. It's fantastic and I can't get enough.

8. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    fwiw while I like the Sadowsky sound I never could get it to sound "right" in my hands. I had a much easier time getting at the sounds in my head with the Roscoe (not to mention the voices in my head). Nice to have choices. Now you just need a Fodera in the family :D

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Awesome collection!

10. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    Nice collection!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021