(belated)NBD - Warning: Antigua content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thrillhouse, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Technically, I have had this bass for a few weeks now but here it is: 1978 Fender Jazz with the controversial antigua finish. It's all original except for the tone pot. It came with the pickup covers and the original case which is in rough condition but I'm never going to use it anyway. It has one of the more aggressive tones of any passive jazz I've played. Lots of that '70s twang/clank which suits my taste very well. And plenty of nice, round lows, as well.

It does suffer from some of the late '70s build quality issues (slightly misaligned bridge pickup, pretty poor neck pocket cut) but overall it's solid and I love the way it feels and plays so I don't really care. One of my top three dream vintage Fenders (the other being an early stack knob and a '66 with dots and binding).
    IMG_20190408_114945.jpg IMG_20190408_115311.jpg IMG_20190408_115123.jpg IMG_20190408_115525.jpg IMG_20190408_115657.jpg

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Definitely one cool Jazz bass.
    I had the chance to buy one from a board member once but it didn't happen...I think he changed his mind about selling it.
    Hard to find one for a good price these days.
    I'm really surprised Fender doesn't do similar finishes in blue burst, aqua burst, or copper burst, etc, like Danelectro, even if they were only FSRs.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  3. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    They do offer those kinds of finishes from the "Mod Shop" but you'll pay premium for them.

jd56hawk likes this.
  4. Antigua seems to be a love/hate finish for people but I've just always thought it was cool/different and one that pegs the instrument to a certain era. Congrats!

Dark Horse and Thrillhouse like this.
  5. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks. And yes, it certainly seems to be a divisive look (hence the thread title).

Mastermold likes this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Exactly why I won't buy from the Mod Shop...but I've seen quite a few Custom Shop relics that I'd prefer over any regular Fender hanging up in any store in the country.