Belated NBD!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stratomato, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Stratomato

Stratomato

Jun 26, 2019
    San Diego
    I picked up a 2014 Indonesian Squier VM Jaguar Short Scale over the weekend at a pawn shop for $125 cash out the door (after some haggling). It has a couple dings on the back (but no missing paint) and a little nick on the painted headstock. I would like to fix the finish on the headstock at some point. Otherwise it it in great shape: no fret wear--literally, straight neck, working truss rod, etc., and all the electronics work fine. I cleaned it up, set it up, and just put on a fresh set of D'Addario half rounds. It plays and sounds great (to me), and it's super light! I am really liking it! I'm not sure if playing a SS will do me a dis-service as an aspiring bass player or not. I have small hands with sausage fingers, but I don't have any difficulty with my 34" at all. I wouldn't say the SS is easier to play, but it is lighter and just feels really comfortable. Thanks for reading! IMG_20190710_095744561.jpg IMG_20190710_095755849.jpg

2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Congrats on your new bass. May it serve you well.

In my experience, it will not. I bought my first short scale bass in '83 and have been switching back and forth from SS to LS ever since. Obviously, YMMV.

Stratomato likes this.
  3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Congrats. $125 is a fun, cost-effective experiment delving into the world of short-scale basses. And if it doesn't work out, well...you can always sell your fingers. ;)

Stratomato likes this.
  4. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Thats a great deal, especially now that these are discontinued and all the sudden becoming a bit difficult to find. Don't overthink the SS thing and you have to play a 34" scale to be a REAL bass player because thats complete BS. If you like 30" scales because they are smaller, lighter and easier to play, then play a SS. Lots of great bass players have over the decades and plenty still do. Ive owned lots of both 30" and 34" basses and I prefer SS basses for some things but prefer a 34" scale for others, especially when I need to tune down. I would love a SS and a long scale Squier Jag and will probably get both at some point.

Stratomato likes this.
  5. Stratomato

Stratomato

Jun 26, 2019
    San Diego
    Thank you for the words of encouragement!

mbell75 likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021