1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Belatedly - God rest your soul, Mr Tutmarc

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by knuckle_head, Feb 23, 2008.

1. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Mr 'Bud' Tutmarc passes Dec. 4

I had the distinct pleasure of spending several hours with he and his wife in their home. He showed me instruments he and his father built and took a look at what I do. They were gracious and kind, and I had always hoped to visit with them again.

I will not get that opportunity.

'Bud' Tutmarc built Serenader electric guitars, basses, lap steels and amplifiers (among a great many other things) just after WWII - much in the same way his dad, Paul Tutmarc, did ten years earlier.

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    RIP Mr Tutmarc.

I'm a fan of the Tutmarc's Audiovox #736 Bass.

3. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    One day I want to design a modernized copy of that bass, those things are awesome.

I wonder if any originals are floating around. Are they playable? How much are they worth? What do they sound like? (not that i think i could actually procure one, just asking)

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    There's one at the EMP museum in Seattle. They have a web site and a Guitar/Bass Time line feature with soundlips of various instruments, the Audiovox among them.

Here's a link to the EMP site, select Launch Timeline to bring it up in a new window and double click on an instrument to display details and a link to a soundclip:

http://www.empsfm.org/exhibitions/index.asp?categoryID=129&ccID=132

5. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    'Bud' Tutmarc had a bass he built just after the war, and a couple of Audiovox instruments that he showed me. Mr. Tutmarc played, as did his dad and as do his sons and grandchildren. Instrument manufacturing ended with Bud, afaik.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'd like to see the post war one...The bass I'm talking about was introduced by Paul H. Tutmarc (Bud's father) around 1935. It was the first electric bass designed to be played horizontally like a guitar. Up until then a few attempts at an electric upright bass had been made.

There were several articles on the Tutmarcs and the Audiovox instruments and amps in Vintage Guitar. They're currently posted in the "Features" section on the VG website.

7. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I remember reading about Bud's dad Paul and his bass. From what I remember in the article, Paul Tutmarc's 1936 Audiovox #736 was way ahead of it's time and still looks modern after 72 years!! This really was as far as I know the first fretted horizontal electric bass and predated leo's far more successful '51 Precision Bass by at least 15 years. Of course Leo deserves the credit for designing and marketing the Amazing Precision electric bass to the average player and perfecting it over many years. It's really too bad though that mr. Tutmarc doesn't get his proper share of the credit. Hopefully some enterprising builder will do a tribute model of the Audiovox #736....That would be cool.

George

8. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Paul Tutmarc's bass

[​IMG]

Bud Tutmarc's bass

[​IMG]

9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've always been a fan of the sound of that Audiovox, since hearing of it several years ago. The soundclip just floors me.