Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Belgian style bridge

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Alex Scott, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    anyone know anything about Belgian bridges, I'm trying to make my bass bright and quick.

2. They're okay, except the syprup and whipped cream are a bit messy.

3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Forget the bridges and go straight for the beer.

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    These guys have Humorroids...but seriously, folks...take my wife...

A "Belgian" bass bridge has a high arch and is useful on a bass with a high bridge. The high arch allows you to cut a more pleasing bridge shape and keeps the mass down, usually a good thing. You won't know if it helps till you do it.

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    bright and quick w/a bow? or bright and quick w/pizz?

6. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    gosh, I hadn't thought about that. I am pretty much doing both, I kind of intended this to be interchangeable, with real low action to try to do some solo recitals, but if it was quick with pizz, that is mostly what I do.

I guess I am a jazz player (just gave up on the symphony thing- so many aren't going to be here long) but I really think Renaud Garcia-fons and Rabbath are awesome, and want to play bach stuff and have the ultimate goal of playing a bowed bass solo where no one in the room even thinks about Paul Chambers- more like a horn player.

So, I guess as bright as I can get for both, but I still have to lay it down, but I could change out bridges whenever.

how's that for no answer?