Bellari micpreamp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Mar 31, 2004.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Has anyone heard anything about this preamp?
    Ive found one at a great price and need something to power my poweramp. I´ll ad an Eq later.
    What do you think?
    Actually it´s a one channel version of the preamp in the link. But the specs are the same.
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I've got one. My advice - keep looking. I've swapped tubes around using Mesa, GT and JJ's. Nothing seems to make this POS seem 'warm'. It does do Phantom power though so that's what I use it for - an over flow pre just in case I need more condenser's setup than I have good pre's for.

I also have a Bellari MP 103 which is just about a straight wire with gain, 12ax7 based mic pre. That one sounds OK with guitar. Not great, just OK. I use it for going direct with a Telecaster if I want a dry chimey track. It sounds best with the GT tube. The MP-103 does OK with a couple of Oktava mics I have though. I think the Oktava's and the MP-103's wierdities actually compliment one another ...

Try the ART Tube PAC or Tube Channel. those are much better sounding pre's that you can find on a budget. The Tube EQ will also provide (I think) 25 db gain which is enough to drive most power amps I've met to clipping. at least one guy in Portland uses the Tube EQ and a Hafler power amp as his rig. With a Nathan East 5 and single 15 bins, his tone is nice and thick. This is a guy who owns a pro audio shop and gig's for fun...

The Tube Channel is a Tube PAC (preamp / compressor) and a Tube EQ in a 1 rack space box. The Tube EQ is a stand alone EQ with Gain. hi & low shelving tone controls, two semi parametric (Q is fixed), overlapping mids. I'm knocked over at how good the T/C sounds as a bass pre.

I never bought into the little ART Tube MP stuff. I always figured that they were toys. The Tube CHannel, PAC & EQ are seriously well built and rugged 'pro' gear. Nothing toy like there at all. To be fair, the Bellari stuff seems well made. It just doesn't sound very good. IMHO, YMMV, etc ...
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks! Great info. I´ll look into the tube channel instead.