1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Belman Users.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stanknuckle, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Are we happy with our Belman's?

2. thumbman

thumbman Love that low end

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey,

yeh i've owned a belman standard for...3 or 4 years now. It has been my main bass until recently when i bought my stingray.

are you looking at getting a belman?

they are VERY underrated basses, put together like a dream. and also a bit undervalued, deffinatly get a lot of bang for your buck.

3. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    I'd like to get a look at one. Anyone know if there's any somewhere in Brissie?

4. I don't think they have the basses in there but Billy Hyde in the Valley carry the Belman guitars and they look a million dollars.

5. I do have a Belman. It's custom ordered for me and they got it right. Translucent blue Swamp Ash body, MM humbucker and a JBass p-up neck position. Fretted Birdseye maple neck.
    I'll try to post a picture at some stage.
    The bass can growl, do the Jazz bass, Musicman and that old motown vibe. It's great, feels great, sounds great and slaps like nothing else. Can you say Marcus Miller and Flea rolled into one? I can.

6. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    My teacher has a couple, and he used mainly belmans (only belmans?) to record his album. this first word that comes to mind when describing their tone is "70's jazz". bright, growly, plenty of bark and punch.

7. I have never seen any in Brisbane anywhere, all the Guitar stores around here are too stupid to stock good, quality instruments.

I picked mine up from Bass Centre in Melbourne used for $999 bucks (am I allowed to say that?). Ash body, Maple neck/board, Soaps, 2 band preamp. I think I got a bargain. I didn't really like it at first. The Gotoh bridge that was on it wasn't a good design for this particular bass, as even with the neck dead straight you couldn't drop the saddles low enough to get a decent action (at least for my preference). I swapped the bridge for a Schaller and now it's a monster. Definitely has that 70's vibe even with the Soaps.

8. I could have bought an American made bass similar like the Lakland but it would have cost me about twice as much. I like to support local luthiers. Australia really does produce some great gear which is world class.

9. The Belman.

10. ^^ That's rad. Love the pickup combo.

11. thumbman

thumbman Love that low end

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    yeh, i orderd my belman to have the same pick up configuration. Deffinatly a fantastic sound.

LOTS of bottom end on these basses...lots and lots

12. They're very nice basses. I've played a few, I was very impressed. Couldn't handle the master 6 though, was way too heavy!

13. bass_ke

bass_ke Team Belman :D

Jan 8, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have a Belman custom 5 as shown in the piccy's below

I'm absolutely blown away by it, i use DR Lowriders and i don't think the sound i could get out of this bass could be any funkier :D

I'm searching for a good 4 string at the moment and if Belman hadn't of closed down a couple of months ago i would not of hesitated to buy another!

100_2168.
    100_2169.
    l_e2d3e6f13c436dfa946a521e50e242a9.

14. open shoes and heavy basses don't mix...

remember...SAFETY FIRST! :D :D :D

Nice Belman...

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Roll up those pants too before you fall and hurt yourself (or the bass!).;) :D

16. bass_ke

bass_ke Team Belman :D

Jan 8, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hehehe, i'm not normally that much of a bogan, but i'd just gotten back from my honeymoon and went straight into band practice

I could only just imagine breaking a couple of toes if the belman fell! :crying:

I'd hate to hurt the old girl!

Good to see some more QLD members about as well, pilbarabass must understand the heat up here!

Cheer's
    Stu

17. Its great to see some Brisbane guys using some top quality gear, most of the local gigs I go too the bassplayer is either playing a fender or stingray through Ashton amps and Cabs, pathetic!!

I posted in a thread about a QLD g2g but forgot to bookmark it, hows that coming along?

and heat!! you try living 200km west of Brisbane, 42C most days last week, at least its cooler now.

Back on topic, I've played 2 Belman and found them to feel alot like a stingray with a jazz neck, its a similar sound too IMO stingray mixed with jazz bass.

18. They have close down??!! Have you got any more info on this.

That is a real shame - I have always wondered how a custom guitar/bass building company of more than 1 person can survive in Australia. Must be tough.

19. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL
    aw, shoot...i was hoping to be the first non-aussie to post here...ya beat me baird! i've looked at several belman basses, and was tempted to pick one up and haveit shipped over here, but i ended up getting something else...sweet looking basses...you guys have something over there with belman...

20. HaroldBishop

HaroldBishop

Jun 18, 2006
    Im pretty sure they didnt close down, they just moved location.