Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

belt scratches on bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thathatman, Sep 30, 2002.

1. thathatman

thathatman

Sep 17, 2002
    La Mirada, CA
    Hey, I was looking at my bass the other day, and I saw a lot of scratches on the back of it. Anyone else have problems with your belt scratching your bass?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Not my belt, but I used to have problems with my belt buckle scratching the back of my bass.

3. That's a tough lesson usually learned early as a bassplayer. Watch out for shirt buttons too!

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats the worst, especially since there isnt much I can do since my school uniform has buttons and I need to play that bass in band class.

Im gonna try covering parts of the back with duct tape.

Peace
    Nick

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Wear your shirt backwards and buckle your belt on your hip.

My pre-CBS Fender came with a plastic/fiberglass cover that went over the back side of the bass and matched the body color.....a great idea that it seems no one continued :confused:

6. Hmmm...
    I have belt buckle scratches on the back of my Ibanez 5er and one or two small ones on my Fender, but my Spector has managed to stay relatively unscathed. Actually, I think I have it such that the waist of the bass is over my stomach and my belt buckle is just under the waist line of my bass, which is good. :D

What I hate, though, are watch scratches.
    When I was doing The Whereabouts of Wally Dudes, the musical director was showing me a bass line he wanted me to play, but he played pick-style. He was also a lefty and wore his watch on his right hand. Now there's a big curved scratch above the neck pickup on my Fender '62 jazz reissue. Pissed me off then, and still pisses me off, and his response was, "Oh don't worry, it gives it character!" But IMO, it's only given character if the marks are made by ME. That ass. Grrr... :mad: He was also complaining about me having put the pickup/bridge covers on that bass, because he said, "I like to play right here." and he tapped on the neck pickup cover. I was thinking, "I don't bloody care where you like to play, this is my bass, and I'll play it the way I like, and I'll have it setup the way I like.

Blah.
    But I don't want to remember the bad points to that show, because other than that it was great. :D

7. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    I don't know about the backwards shirt, the butons have never been a problem for me....
    but the day i started playing bass, i started, wearing my belt buckle off to the sideright above my left hand pocket, works great for me.

Good Luck

Erin

8. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    Hmmm, I just played a gig where the guitar player slid his '62 strat across the stage. Belts ain't gonna hurt nuttin.

9. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Sorry to state the obvious........

Play naked.

Chris A.:rolleyes:
    (who is just fine with buckle marks.)

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My father always wore his belt buckle to the side. Me, I never really worried about the back of the bass so much as the front.

Sheepman, that dude sounds like a total tool.