Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ben Allison

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
  2. Thanks, great interview. I wonder what else I've missed because I always jump right to the forums...

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  4. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nice shirt, he always has nice shirts. He sure hamfists it a lot....

5. Will Yager

Will Yager Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    He's one of my favorite composers. For some reason, the interview link didn't work for me.

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Now that's the TBDB I've been missing.

7. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    It's the continuation of Jazz from the MJQ era, new jazz if you will. I dig it!

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.

9. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    I am pretty sure I get what you are saying...

10. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
  11. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    The URL for this interview has changed at some point in the past five years.

Mr. Fuqua's interview with Mr. Allison may be perused right here. Enjoy!

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Ham's R Us

13. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    "B.A.: I'm not a big practicer. I probably should practice more"

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    OK Sparky, I'll bite. How many interviews you got where the subject says "You know, I practice precisely enough." or "You know, I probably practice too much." ?

15. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    I actually enjoyed the interview. Dave Holland answered that once by talking about how he liked playing scales and arpeggios, playing out the Kreutzer violin book, and Simandl.
    When you hear Holland it adds up....

I am going to guess you have a daily practice routine. I certainly do:
    I do long tones, all 12 Major scales around the cycle of 4ths starting on E (often with the metronome on 40), then I do a few memorized Simandl and Petracchi etudes, for the last year triads across two strings in thumb position chromatically up the neck.
    Then I work on any specific technical problems, etudes, solos, jazz tunes or other music.

If I am really busy or just lazy I can condense this stuff and get it done in under 30 minutes, other days I go for hours - so it isn't like I have unreasonable expectations from professional bass players.

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Be that as it may, you also have no clear idea what Ben means by "practice enough". I may have no clear idea about what Dave Holland's response to my question "Hey Dave do you think you practice enough?" would be.

But my supposition would be that it's probably pretty close to Ben's.

Look, like and dislike what you want. If someone told me that you based your decision on whether or not you liked the bassists in these two clips by watching them with the sound off, I'd be hard pressed to disagree with them.

17. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    No, to be honest I liked Ben's play far better, I don't think he gets any clarity out of that monkey grip when he goes to it (says my ear not my eyes), and in this particular forum I think that is reasonable to say. He is a creative player with some very nice ideas, and there is clearly something to what he is doing.
    However, I won't lie and say I don't feel his quote on practicing doesn't line up with how he plays, again reasonable in a forum of bass players talking shop.

BTW, your question was about a practice routine, not about quantity.

18. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Very cool. BA's latest is in my Amazon cart as I type this...

19. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I harp on my students about technique.

I listen to the music I hear when I go to a concert.

20. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Same here, but technique is a choice and it is only a problem when it isn't working.
    Choices adults make in public should not be taboo topics for discussion.