1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ben Chisholm of Chelsea Wolfe tone on Hiss Spun?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rllr, Apr 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rllr

rllr

Apr 20, 2018
    I really love the fuzzed out bass tone on the track Spun by Chelsea Wolfe and was curious if anyone had any thoughts on what might get me somewhere close amp/pedal-wise. I'm pretty sure he plays through a Dwarfcraft Surrender Dorothy or She Fuzz live.

In the video for 16 Psyche he's playing through an Ampeg of some sort it looks like.

I've seen several interviews that talk about gear for the guitars, but not much in the way of the bass.

Thanks so much!

2. I was wondering the same thing, but listening closely, it sounds like it's a split signal, or maybe overdubbed. I heard the fussed out tone, but there was a clean tone underneath it to deliver the low end. I was watching this performance. I can't tell what he's playing through.

3. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I'm just kicking a corpse to add this:

Ben+Chisolm+pedalboard+photo.jpg

4. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Is that really all he uses? It sounds so different. I've used all of those pedals but man, he's a wizard. lol

5. halfsleeper

halfsleeper

Feb 8, 2019
    You can see him using a mxr bass distortion instead of the acapulco gold in the live video for KEXP.
    He is stacking everything with the exception of the reverb pedals on top of each other.
    And he plays a svt-vr which also does a lot for his sound.
    Then there are these synth sounds which he lays on top of his bass from time to time. It is not as much magic as you might think.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021