1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ben E King "Stand by me"

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by dnburgess, Oct 24, 2006.

1. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    Can anywone tell me who played bass on the original recording of "Stand By Me" by Ben E King?

2. musicman5string

musicman5string Inactive

Jan 17, 2006
    Was it a Motown release? Then it was probably Jamerson. If not, then it might've been Jamerson. If it was someone else, it wasn't Jamerson.

3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Not Motown -- produced by Jerry Wexler for Atlantic, recorded in NYC in 1960, using what was then Atlantic's brand-new studio. I can't remember who they were using for players -- they weren't bringing up the guys from down South, I don't think...

4. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Hmmm... That is a tough one. I thought that perhaps someone could I.D. him visually, so I searched for a Ben E. King music video. I found this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew_A-40QHOY
    Oddly, they don't show any muscians' faces...:meh:
    You've got me pretty interested now too.

-Phil

5. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I'll bet the answer is in Wexler's auto-bio. Can't remember the name (library copy) but it's a great read. If I remember correctly he talks a fair bit about sessions and people...

6. musicman5string

musicman5string Inactive

Jan 17, 2006
    All I know is that when I want to show a student how the bass line can be "the tune"; i.e. the main hook in the song, I always show them that. No one has ever disagreed yet.

7. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

I'm not sure if he was on that particular cut, but I think Al McKibbon did a lot of those Atlantic r&b sessions.

8. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    Thanks. Its a shame that the player of such a great and influential bass line isn't better known.