Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ben Folds at the Warfield, San Francisco - 11/15

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jazzbo, Nov 17, 2002.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    A buddy of mine treated me to the show. I am certainly a Ben Folds Five fan, but I had not yet had a chance to hear any of his solo work.

Phenomenal concert. It's rare that a "pop" artist is such a virtuoso on their instrument, but Ben's command of the piano cannot be understated. He performed masterfully during a very high energy show. Not to be without his comfort of backup harmonies or horns, before any song that called for it, Ben conducted the audience on how to perform the harmonies or horn parts. After one quick practice he performed the song, prompting the crowd when to perform their duties. Unbelievably, it actually sounded good.

Ben performed many tracks from his solo CD, along with old BFF favorites, and a couple of covers, including the "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" and George Michael's "Careless Whisper". Great show.

I highly recommend checking Ben Folds out if you're in the area. He has great stage presence, an awesome sense of humor, phenemonal skills and great melodies.

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Check out the Ben Folds Five DVD of their BBC sessions if you like Ben or his old band... great stuff on there.

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I am insanely jealous of you right now jazzbo. The show I saw of his at the Fillmore in May was easily one of the best I've ever been to. I so wanted to go to that show at the Warfield, but lack of money prevented me. :(

Oh well, I'm glad you had a good time at the show, I guess I'll catch him next time he's in town.

P.S.
    Did he play "One Down" at the show? It's the song about having to write some songs for an old contract or something. He did it at the Fillmore and it was hillarious.