Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ben Folds Five Robert Sledge Destortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Jan 17, 2005.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Anyone know what he is using live? :eyebrow: I have never messed with distortion in the 20 years of bieng a bassist. :rollno: But for some reason i just love the fill sound he gets from it. :hyper: Truely awsome idea and i just neeeeeeed to know badly before i pee my pants :bawl: and have to go up the stairs and slip and break my neck! :help: :help:

2. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Robert Sledge uses a Big Muff for his distortion.

3. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Do they make one for bass? My guitar player has a BIG MUFF :D :eyebrow: :rollno: :meh: And is it a original or a new one? :meh:

4. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    They don't make a guitar specific one, no. They work well for both guitar and bass. However, at higher gains you may lose a little of your lows. If you want to try out a Big Muff I suggest, trying a US Made one or a Double Muff. The Russian ones all vary between pedals because they use parts with different tolerances.

5. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    LOL went to band practice last night and asked if i could play with my guitar players big muff! :eek: He was amused! :eyebrow: But yeah i can see what you are talking about! He has a russian built muff and i was having a real hard time getting my lowes and highs. Just alot of mid. But then again i only had like 30 min to mess with it. :meh: Wondering how cool it would sound with my wah! :D

6. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I never got good results with a muff and a wah.

7. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    The funny thing is that I agree with you, YET... I prefer the Risskie to the USA, very much actualy... BUT!. I do have to try a few out at the store untill I get my sound, usualy 3 or 4... In the end its usualy worth it...

Alex

8. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    i just watched a ben folds dvd from 97, and i was totally amazed.....he is playing through an svt, then orange and marshall cabs....then a slew of pedals....does anyone know what his setup was? please help!

9. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    LOL yeah thats the same dvd that started this whole thread! Killer isnt it! Man the vocal work those guys do is just awsome!

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Big Muff Pi+Morley PWB=Metallica bass sound.

Ted